Why are sheep so stupid?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Why are sheep so stupid?

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:06 pm

We have had terrible trouble with the animals lately. As the Spring was so wet many of the sheep developed soft inward-turning hooves and they had to be trimmed and regularly sprayed with an antibiotic. My OH and I did that together with him catching and up-ending the sheep and me being the medicine-applier. Then there was the problem with flies that laid eggs in the soft, damp places between the cleft of the two ‘toes’. That was treated with an anti-insect spray which also killed the eggs the flies laid and the maggots that hatched, plus the antibiotic spray. I also learned how to fill a syringe from an upside-down bottle of liquid antibiotic and inject the sheep in the muscular part of one of their hind legs. Just call me Florence.

A few days after a massive treatment campaign I noticed the ram had a black-looking willy. My OH turned him over and his willy was alive with maggots which seemed to be eating his flesh. At this stage I nearly vomited. I mean, I’m a Vogue reading, up-together modern woman who loves Bimba and Lola bags and breakfasting out with my girlfriends three times a week. Yet there I was, on my hands and knees, treating this willy with various sprays and injecting him with antibiotics. The following day I wanted to see how he was getting on so, armed with my habitual basket of medicines, plus rubber gloves, plus magnifying glass, plus tweezers, I checked him over while my OH held him down. There were lots of dead maggots, some embedded in his willy. Hence the tweezers. If you have never had the experience of tweezering maggots out of a willy and were offered it, I would say, on balance, pass.

The ram, whom we are now calling Willito (little willy) has made a super recovery. This morning I wanted to give him a quick check over and he’s fine and back to performing with the ewes. However, just as I was doing my final check the beast wriggled, my OH lost his grip and I got a fierce blow from his hind hoof right on the bridge of my nose. I honestly thought he had broken my nose but it’s okay; swollen and hurting but I’ll be all right. Ungrateful brute. Sheep are so stupid and do not seem to get the idea that basket means medicine means good health.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Re: Why are sheep so stupid?

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:33 pm

He cannot be expected to know. It must have been painful for him and he hardly knew you were helping him. It must have been painful for him to have his penis tweezered and so he connects you up with pain not medicine.

The are not really stupid it is just that they are not human either and sometimes humans are more stupid. Here is what research has found "Scientists at the University of Cambridge have found that the creatures have the brainpower to equal rodents, monkeys and, in some tests, even humans.

The results suggest that sheep have relatively advanced learning capabilities, are adaptable, can map out their surroundings mentally and may even be able to plan ahead"

You probably grabbed him in order to treat him so that to him shows aggression and violence.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 pm

I suspect Lavanda's post was tongue in cheek, I don't think 'Why are sheep so stupid?' was a serious question lol. I have been chuckling away at your descriptions, Lavanda - you have a great way with words, I am picturing each maggoty episode. Not funny I'm sure, at the time (straightens face) and well done you for being such a great Florence to Willito.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:08 pm

I had a real chuckle at your post Lavanda..well written...my sister was a farmer till her husband died and i always recall her telling me that sheep are stupid! :)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks, Irene and Pamela. It was tongue-in-cheek, yes. In fact all seven of our sheep have names, know us and one in particular is very much a pet. I raised him by hand from when he was nine days old and his mother had rejected him. I love them all dearly. Willito is a huge ram. Getting him turned over is no easy feet for us but he bears no grudge and still comes to eat the occasional treat directly from my hand.

(Anyway, I wanted to post something other then the referendum just to remind me that life, in all its diversity, goes on.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:16 pm

My theory is that sheep are not stupid they just pretend to be for an easy life :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

But come the Ovine Day of Reckoning they will rise up and surprise us all with their wit, humour, intelligence and strategy. They will show themselves to be individuals and leaders. :clap: :clap: :clap:

But I think Willito just craves attention as he has to do all the heavy lifting in the ewe department. :oops:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Poor Willito and poor you Lavanda, hope your nose has recovered!