Dog protection different to scalibor

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dog protection different to scalibor

Postby Rummii » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi everyone
We are having trouble with scalibor collars.
We have a few dogs and a couple of them play fight regularly but unfortunately they are snapping there scalibor collars we have recently got through several in as many weeks and as they are quite costly this is not something I want to keep doing.
Can anyone let me know if they have used any other types of protection or can recommend alternatives
Many thanks and look forward to your replies

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog protection different to scalibor

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Rummii,

Whatever you use is going to be expensive.......

We use Advantix drops monthly during the season (i.e. not over winter) and the Dog that often sleeps out side have had him vaccinated against Leishmania .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm

One suggestion would be to rescue the old broken ones and using two of the slide-on buckles per collar cobble together suitable lengths. It has been suggested that Scalibor on its own is not 100% effective and that you should use Advantix AS WELL!

There is an alternative to Scalibor collars which uses the same basic formula, but in the form of a liquid that you dab onto the back of the dog - it is "BUTOX emulsion Pour-On 250 ml". It is the same stuff used to do sheep and cattle dips!!! Our small-AND-large-animal vet recommends it for our outdoor dogs. It does have to be used carefully and in the correct dosage for the size of dog, and repeated religiously every month but so far since we have been using it on ours, they have had very little problem with ticks, fleas or mossies/sandflies. At worst you may find one confused looking tick on one dog after a walk in the warm long wet grass. Keep Frontline spray handy in case for instant removal. Our dogs have had Leishmania, each to lesser or creater degree, so we also do a routine of Motilium every quarter, for 28 days which keeps the leishmania in remission.

According to our vet, if your dogs are rescues or brought up in Spain you need to be very sure that they have not already had a dose of the Leishmania before considering the vacuna, as the vaccine is contra-indicated in a dog that may already been infected. Great for pups or dogs coming into Spain from non-Leishmania zones, eg UK or scandinavia etc but not for our rescues that may even have got it before we got them.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Before giving Leishmania jab the Vet will test the Dog first.
The course is initially three jabs over a set period and then annually.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Thank you very much for your replies
Will try and join ones we got together to hopefully cover him till we can get to vets
Had one dog tested and other two dogs are ours from uk so will get them tested for leishmania so they then can be vaccinated
Again thanks for you advice and help

korrekami

Postby korrekami » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 pm

You could try with Seresto Collar

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 pm

And for goodness sake don't buy from a vet, shop around on the internet as both Scalibor and Seresto are available MUCH cheaper on line.
A PM will get you where the Management gets ours but she is not here at the moment.

She gets the Seresto collars from "Petsonic.com" who are Spanish. She got Scalibor from the UK and a friend brought them out,
HTH and delete if agin' the rules Sid.