Dog Seperation Issues

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Unicorn
Resident

Dog Seperation Issues

Postby Unicorn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi there

Can anyone help?

I have had a rescue dog for 18 months or so and I wanted to see what I could do if I had to go away. He went off a couple of hours ago with a family he knows as an experiment and apparently has not stopped crying so is on his way back home.

He was three when I got him and I think had had a bit of a chaotic life before.

Has anyone any advice on how to deal with this?

Advice very welcome!!! :wave:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog Seperation Issues

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Unicorn,
We have 3 'rescue' dogs, and have 2 Spanish families who will take care of them if we go away.
If it is possible to leave a dog in your own home with someone calling to feed it and exercise it then that is the least stressful for the dog.
If the dog goes to another house it is quite important for the dog to be already familiar with the 'carer' and I always send a 'day box' that the dog knows and feels secure in, also a good idea is to put an old jumper etc. belonging to the owner.
Most dogs will fret for a few hours but should then settle down, but rescued dogs are much more 'clingy' to their owners , quite understandable.
Also I always make sure that they have their favourite food and a bone, in fact I think we probably spoil them.!
Hope that helps ! :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for that

Maybe you could come round and hypnotise him!

He knows the girl very well and she said she tried to play ball with him, and he is normally well up for that, tempted by treats but he just howled for two hours. I wondered if he went round to theirs and then came back home a few times he may then think he wasn't being abandoned by me.

I think he was in and out of the refuge more than once as he howls when we drive near there in the car

Do you think it is better leave him in the house and just being fed and watered and emptied? I just worry that if I had to go into hospital or go away or anything I am not sure what to do. I certainly have people who could take him out, maybe that is the solution.

He is one of those dogs that pretends he is well 'ard but is really just like a baby!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Unicorn,
No Problem I'll pop in next time we are 'Down your way' and send his mind into Doggy Dreamville..

I do think that they are always happier if they can stay in their 'own home', familiarity and security and all that, but I understand that it can be difficult letting some else into your home, unless you can shut off personal possessions and rooms etc.
Our dogs spend most of their time living in and around our patio, we bring them into our utility room in the winter and in the summer they have their own accommodation outside, we do let them into our home by invitation , one dog at a time, much too chaotic if they invade us as a pack !
I have found abandoned dogs quite easy to train and showing them a lot of affection seems to be the key.

Anyway I hope that you find a successful solution, I'm sure that you will..!!! :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon