Tortugas

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tortugas

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm

I have spent much of the summer heat (remember that?) revamping my garden and hauling paving stones and mixing cement and moving earth. I have ended up with a beautiful relaxing space with a lovely fountain and pool . . . and my neighbours have donated a couple of tortugas which were born in someone's garden so used to life in captivity. They have free run of my garden and pool but . . . I really don't know how best to care for them. I have tried the internet for information obviously but all information there seems to assume that they are kept in tanks. One neighbour told me to throw bread out for them . . . but I don't think that is the answer. When I see them in the pool I sprinkle turtle and terrapin food on the water for them and they gobble that up with relish. It is getting colder now though and they seem less active and hide away in the garden. Any advice on keeping them healthy and happy would be very much appreciated. If it is any help one of them has a shell about 12 cms long and the other is about 15 cms long. The pool is formal and tiled but has a rock placed so that they can get in and out easily. I am in the Subbetica mountains and the garden faces south so can be very hot in summer and can be quite cold at times in the winter.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tortugas

Postby gavilan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 pm

I am no expert, but I think tortugas hibernate in winter ... not sure how ie do they burrow into mud? or hide under rocks? or both?! ...