2 Lovers and 1 Hater..!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

2 Lovers and 1 Hater..!

Postby BENIDORM » Fri May 11, 2018 4:10 pm

We have 3 Podenco rescue dogs and recently , by accident, I gave them each a piece of toast with a small amount of Marmite spread on them...

The 2 girls absolutely loved their new treat, but Skippy the big brown dog hated it, spat it out and immediately drank about a gallon of water and then spent most of the day washing his face with his paws trying to remove all traces of the Marmite poison.
So now we have a daily ritual were they queue up for 2 Marmite soldiers for the girls and we've had to buy some pate for Skippy, however he will no longer catch any treats mid air, he inspects it thoroughly first to check for any Marmite traces. :D ..
I hope that giving this new treat is not detrimental to their health...anyone know ?

They also love pieces of melon, skin and all and as another treat we buy the packs of Frankfurter hot dog sausages ( in 5 multi packs for approx 1.25 e), chopped up in pieces- a small amount every day...if they've been good.!

Any other advice on unusual doggie treats .?

Regards,
Gordon..... Marmite Lover. :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: 2 Lovers and 1 Hater..!

Postby El Cid » Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm

We have a cat that likes Marmite on toast. I then realised that Twiglets were much the same taste and he now has these as treats. The other cat hates them!

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri May 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Our (Spanish) moggie absoutely loves an oral gel product stocked by her (Spanish) vet called U*Vita: https://uranovet.com/en/u-vita/ Doesn't appear to be available in the UK. She hates the malt product they do. They also have it for dogs.
We stocked up before leaving last year, and still have a supply, but when it runs out, I may try her on Marmite (I'm a lover) It has the same colour and consistency, if not quite the same smell - and I can't vouch for the taste either. :D
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri May 11, 2018 8:48 pm

The only thing to worry about with these treats is to watch the salt level - dogs dont naturally take in a lot of salt and too much can rapidly affect their kidneys - watch out for drinking to excess and possible vomiting as signs of kidney problems. We use Mercadonas cheapest frankfurter sausages for dog training - it is amazing what your average dog will do for this stuff when attention is otherwise lost rather rapidly!! The Marmite and other yeasty products are good for dogs with a good dose of protein in a very tasty wrapper-
As with all things doggy, each individual is different and you just have to go for the one they like!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm

The tubes of cat malt smell like marmite. One of our cats loves it but the other two run off if I try them with it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 am

Many Thanks for the recommendations and advice,Much Appreciated ! :thumbup:

It would seem that most of the pet treats are by-products from the brewing industry..!

And our dogs really enjoy a good old fashioned bone from the local butchers, great for their teeth and usually keeps them amused for the day, although they do get a bit aggressive if anyone comes near them when they are 'guarding the bone '.

Regards,
Gordon