Uk income tax and N.I.

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Uk income tax and N.I.

Postby geo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 pm

I know I have asked this question before but never did get a definate answer. I work offshore on a platform in UK waters, I am employed by a UK based company and paid directly into Unicaja bank. I pay full Uk tax and N.I. my question is, is there any way where I can pay tax in Spain instead or get any reduction in N.I. contributions as I get no benifit from the UK??
George
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Uk income tax and N.I.

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:09 am

It comes down to residency. If you spend 183 days in Spain in a year you are tax resident and would be obliged to pay tax in Spain.

As your duties are performed in the UK you would have to pay tax in the UK even if you were resident in Spain, however you would be able to deduct the UK tax from the Spanish tax.

I don't know the answer to the UK NI question but even if you are working 2 weeks on, two weeks off, given travelling, I doubt that you will quite make the 183 days in Spain. Also tax in Spain is generally higher than in the UK.

Sid

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: Uk income tax and N.I.

Postby pilgrim2 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:46 pm

My husband is self employed in the UK, spends more than 183 days in UK so has to pay Tax and NI contibutions in UK, and as Cid says deduct the UK pd tax from on your Spanish declaration. I was in partnership with him when we lived in UK, but as I live in Spain permanently I would have had to declare my income from the partnership in Spain, pay more tax and pay the 260 odd euros each month as a selfemployed person in Spain. Hope this helps