Law against posting for sale sign in car

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Law against posting for sale sign in car

Postby yummymummy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:58 pm

We have a car to sell in Marbella and people tend to park them (totally legally and not disruptive in any way) on a street by Supersol / BP garage in Marbella. So we put a sign in our car and parked it down there only to find it fined the next day with a bright yellow sticker stuck on it by the police. My husband we to the Policia National and was told that it is illegal to put for sale signs in cars and that the law has changed. We are facing up to 300€ fine and are due to go back to the police next week.

Could you please advise when this new law was put in place and how the government goes about advising people about a change in law such as this. There were absolutely no notices anywhere saying not to park cars that are for sale.

Many thanks.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Law against posting for sale sign in car

Postby hillybilly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:08 pm

I found these articles http://www.elperiodicoextremadura.com/n ... kid=320933 and http://www.eldiadevalladolid.com/notici ... D919ECDDDB and this discussion going back to 2007 http://www.bmwfaq.com/f7/se-puede-poner ... he-263813/ which say that it's a municipal law enforced in some places and has to have been published in the good old BOP.
Last edited by hillybilly on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:33 pm

It's one of the things that drives me mad when I go down to the beach or my local shopping centre . It's full of cars for sale.Athough I do feel sorry for you because in my opinion most of the cars I see belong to traders . I wish the police would do something about it around here

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Strange - I've never really found people advertising their cars for sale to be bothersome or offensive. I wonder if it's illegal also to put a for sale sign in a window of your property? If it isn't already, perhaps the govt. will decide it's another good way to kill off what remains of the market. Or perhaps they'll just introduce a new tax on "se vende" signs? :twisted:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:17 am

It is a bit of a weird one. Maybe it's ok to have a "se vende" sign in your vehicle as long as you keep moving. As soon as you park up you have to whip it down before you get ticketed.

Jane and Terry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane and Terry » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 am

There was similar local legislation where we used to live in the UK. Cars displaying "For Sale" signs are often left for weeks on end . The problem seemed to be that they were often parked on private property or just in places where they caused a nuisance. The local council would ring the displayed contact number(usually an unofficial dealer) and give 24 hours to move them.After that they were towed away. Maybe this is a similar initiative.

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:21 am

If all the parking spaces outside your shop were taken up with cars 'For Sale', you'd understand.
I'm sure it was in the local (Coin), English Language papers a couple of years ago.
(I moved mine on reading it :oops: )

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:17 am

I was really pleased to see this rule brought in - shame it is not a national law, or at least an Andalucia one. Those trying to sell cars want them in a place where the maximum people will see it, and for the longest possible time during the hours when potential punters are about - ipso facto, they park the damn things in the prime spots, blocking them for genuine shoppers. A parking spot near the entrance to a shopping mall for example, should get twenty or more users in a day, not one!
Next gripe - all the illegal advertising hoardings alongside major roads........anyone care to give up trying to sell their old banger, and have a crash near one, claiming that the sign distracted them? :twisted:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 pm

I believe you can put a notice in a car for sale as long as it is parked where you live or at the address where the care is registered.

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:03 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

FOR YUMMYMUMMY

Parking cars with "for sale" signs in the public road is regulated by municipal ordinance. The Marbella rule has been in force for some time. The regulation is aimed at non-licenced sellers of cars, who sometimes park as many as a dozen in one street at one time, with mobile telephone numbers to contact the shady dealer.

Benalmadena is another municipality with such rules, and many towns all over Spain prohibit this form of selling. In many of the towns, a private seller of his old car can do so if he is "empadronado" or registered as an inhabitant of the town and if the vehicle is registered for municipal vehicle tax in the town. Some towns allow a private seller to obtain a "licence" that protects him for periods of two weeks up to three months.

If Yummymummy would be so kind as to let us know how it came out, we would be grateful.

Best Regards, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain