civil partnerships & rip-off Britain

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

civil partnerships & rip-off Britain

Postby Miro » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Been enquiring about forming a "pareja de hecho", a civil partnership, so that my partner and I can be treated as a married couple for IHT purposes in the event of either of us kicking it. Pretty straightforward - at the town hall today they told us we'd need a certificate of civil status from the British consulate, plus the usual ID docs etc. Rang the Consulate - no problem, come before 11:00am and you'll get the certificate while you wait. Here we go.........€143 EACH. Just checked the website. Here is an example of what Britain charges €143 for: http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/resources/e ... ertificate
How do they sleep at night???? That's more than the cost of a passport, for God's sake.
Done a bit more checking, and reckon if we were in the UK we could do it all for 100 quid. (Then I suppose we'd have to get it translated....)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: civil partnerships & rip-off Britain

Postby alig99 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Miro, I don't understand why its rip-off Britain (again), given the exchange rate 100 quid is 110 euro and translation costs are around 60-100 quid or euro! I think thats more than the 143 euro you mentioned. Some things in Britain are more costly than in Europe but be assured there is definately european organisations making lots of money (ripping-off) on lots of things in Europe, lets start with cars, food, clothes, white goods to name but a few, which are more expensive in Europe than the UK !! :D Good luck wherever you get your documents. ali :)

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 pm

And in Britain you wouldn't be paying the same amount of Inheritence tax, Spain just collects taxes in a different wat then the UK.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:58 am

Point entirely missed, I think.

alig99 - €143 per person. This is for a certificate stating our civil status, so that we can then go and form a civil partnership at our local town hall. I don't know how much that costs itself, but the £100 I quoted was for a civil marriage in the UK, which with a legal translation would be valid in Spain.
What galls me is that they can charge so much for this:

A QUIÉN CORRESPONDA
Yo, , en la provincia de Madrid
certifico que en el día de hoy se ha personado en este Consulado el ciudadano británico
XXXX, nacido en XXXX el XX de XXXX de XXXX titular del pasaporte británico número
XXXXXXXXX, expedido en el Reino Unido el XX de XXXX de XXXX, quien ha declarado
ante mí bajo su responsabilidad que su estado civil es el de XXXX, (delete where
appropriate no habiendo contraído matrimonio con anterioridad).
Y para que conste y surta efecto, firmo la presente en el Consulado Británico de XXXX,
a XX de XXXX de 2009.

At least a British passport is a proper document, with photo and God knows what other info now contained in it, good for 10 years as ID and valid for travel throughout the world. This certificate, on the other hand, is just a scrap of paper which, for me, will have a useful life of about 5 minutes.
So, sorry about the (unnecessary) jibe about rip-off Britain, I was just feeling incensed at what the UK consulate charges for things like this.

Julie, IHT is a complex issue, but I'm fairly certain that if I can bring myself to fork out €143 (EACH!!!!) and register a civil partnership in Andalucia, neither of us will be paying any when the other one checks out. So, at the end of the day (no pun intended), it's probably worth paying it - even though it will be begrudgingly.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:50 am

maybe it would be cheaper just to check-out at the same time...I think Gordon may be able to help with that, he is organising some checkout do on another topic, not sure what he is charging though, maybe you get a discount for a "double leap". :D

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:04 pm

I dn't understand why some people whinge about anything, everything costs something for gods sake :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:26 pm

If only we were all as wealthy as you presumably are, we would never ever even dare to question how much someone charges for anything, ever again, either. €50 for that coffee Mr. Bar Owner? Why certainly, Retro P tells me everything cost something, for God's sake, so of course I'm delighted to give you whatever you want, my wallet is open for anyone to help themselves.
Jeez, forgive me for having the audacity to suggest that perhaps this service may be just a tad overpriced, I didn't realise I was in such a minority feeling slightly ripped off when someone clearly charges me way over and above the cost plus a reasonable fee for services rendered.

:roll: :roll:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Miro, you are not alone, I also think it seems very pricey, but, as I understand it from my conversations with the consulate here about a pareja de hecho certificate some of this cost covers a visit to the Notary as well.....I suggest you ask them for a breakdown of cost as it is definitely more than just issuing a piece of paper.

Still seems expensive though I agree, but cheaper than getting married I think!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:39 pm

PS - the info I received from the Consultate was that you need the following before the Pareja de Hecho document can be issued

You need - a certificate from a Justice of the Peace stating you are recognised as a couple

A certificate from Town Hall mayor saying you are regarded as a co-habitating couple by them

Copy of your padron showing you are on it as a family unit and not as individuals

NIE numbers

Passports

I last checked this a few months ago, you never know it may have been simplified since then but I would suggest you check just in case.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for that, Jool.
When I spoke to the consulate in Malaga, they told me they close at 1:30, but if I get there before 11:00 there would be no problem issuing it there and then before they close. No mention of a trip to a notary. I think the consulate's stamp is legal enough?
We have up to date padron certs., and the town hall gave me a list of requirements - basically this Certificate from the consulate, passport or residency card, padron, and a couple of simple forms to complete. When and if we get it done, I'll post back here with details - including cost, for anyone who actually gives a toss what they pay for things!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Miro, apparently you took my light hearted comment a touch seriously, can you honestly say that 143 euros is a considerable amount, by todays values it's really nothing is it, considering you expect to gain peace of mind, I presume you chose to live outside of the UK, you cannot therefore expect things to cost the same as they would in the UK.
Ah! the full english!!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:06 pm

€143 is neither a considerable amount nor an inconsiderable amount on it's own. Only in relation to what it's being charged for can one ascertain whether it represents "value", which in this case it clearly does not. QED.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Can I ask how you have arrived at the conclusion that this service which you apparently need is overpriced, for example have you done a cost analysis on the progressive stages this item will clearly require?? As I said previously 143 euros is neither here nor there, a decent night (not even special) out for one!
If you have assets (paid for) you wish to protect on behalf of your "partner" then 143 euros is a pittance :roll:

Funerals are also expensive, nobody whinges about the cost though!
Ah! the full english!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 pm

What you have to understand is that the figure will have to take into account the cost of employing staff to deal with all these legalities. UK staff need accommodation costs, pension contributions etc and local staff aren't cheap.

I whinge at the cost of funerals :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:16 pm

there is no limit to what can, and will be ,whinged about here...funerals included !! I seem to remember a thread about the cost of funerals!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:28 pm

We like to whnge, it makes us feel alive ! :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Retro P wrote:If you have assets (paid for) you wish to protect on behalf of your "partner" then 143 euros is a pittance
By the same token, they could charge €1,430 and it would still be a "pittance" by virtue of the fact that there is no cheaper alternative. Doesn't mean you have to be happy about it, but fair point about paying whatever you are forced to, to protect your assets.
have you done a cost analysis on the progressive stages this item will clearly require??
You are having a laugh, surely? You're not by any chance a retired politician? Perhaps I should also do a "risk assessment"? Maybe form a "quango" to discuss my options? Then bill the taxpayer for wasting time and money when a simple application of good old common sense would have sufficed.
I've never heard anyone exactly pleased about how cheap they are, either.
143 euros is neither here nor there, a decent night (not even special) out for one!
You clearly move in different circles to me! :roll:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Miro, I hope you and your partner will have a long and loving life together. :D :D :D

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Miro wrote:
Retro P wrote:If you have assets (paid for) you wish to protect on behalf of your "partner" then 143 euros is a pittance
By the same token, they could charge €1,430 and it would still be a "pittance" by virtue of the fact that there is no cheaper alternative. Doesn't mean you have to be happy about it, but fair point about paying whatever you are forced to, to protect your assets.
have you done a cost analysis on the progressive stages this item will clearly require??
You are having a laugh, surely? You're not by any chance a retired politician? Perhaps I should also do a "risk assessment"? Maybe form a "quango" to discuss my options? Then bill the taxpayer for wasting time and money when a simple application of good old common sense would have sufficed.
A very fair response Miro, I wasn't having a dig at you personally, just the fact that everyone whinges about something (with me it's shotgun shells and 30.06 caliber rifle bullets), but no matter what they'll still charge us, I too hope you have a long and happy life together (at least then you'll get value for money for your piece of paper :P

I've never heard anyone exactly pleased about how cheap they are, either.
143 euros is neither here nor there, a decent night (not even special) out for one!
You clearly move in different circles to me! :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:22 am

(a) 143 Euros is a considerable amount of money to many of us ( just over 23% of my last state pension payment).
(b) I would not in my wildest dreams consider that 143 euros is the cost of a "night out".
(c) This rip-off is quite in line with the similar one for issue of a U.K. passport, here in Spain.
(d) Funeral costs ARE a rip-off, both here and in the U.K.