Law re claiming spanish state pension

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Law re claiming spanish state pension

Postby Jool » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 pm

I know things have changed a lot recently and eulisses is involved etc but I have a very specific question. In the past you had to have contributed to the spanish system for a minimum of 15 years to have any kind of pension entitlement here, has this now changed so that all contributions, ie one year or more, count?

Can a situation ever arise where you receive a partial state pension here and a full state pension in the UK or does it just go up to the set amount? If so what is the set amount for people who generated pension rights in both countries?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Law re claiming spanish state pension

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 pm

If you have made contributions in other countries then you will receive a pension from each country and the contributions will contribute to the minimum years amount.

I think it is possible to get a foreign pension on top of a full UK pension - it seems to be one of the hidden perks of working in more than one country.

You cannot receive a pension from a country until you become of pensionable age in that country but that doesn't stop you getting an earlier pension from a country with a lower pension age.

It's a pretty complicated subject but the Eulisses website covers it fairly well.

http://ec.europa.eu/employment_social/s ... epage.psml

Sid

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Sid thank you so much - have you thought about setting up a CAB type service here in Andalucia?!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm

No. I would never be able to get a Taxi licence :D :D

Sid

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:51 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

FOR JOOL AND EL CID

The pension calculatons can get very complex, but we can touch on a few points.

1. No, there is no change in the 15-year minimum to qualify for a minimum Spanish pension. This would be about half the basic amount. 35 years is required for a full pension whose amount depends on whether you have paid into the system at a low rate, being a waiter, say, or a high rate, being a bank executive. Average in Andalusia is around 700 euros, so half of that is 350.

2. Yes, you can receive two separate pensions from two different countries if you qualify. If you worked in Spain 15 years and in the UK, say, 40 years, you would get two separate pensions.

3. Yes, convenios between the two countries provide for combining the time worked and social security paid in each country into one pension if the worker does not quite qualify in either country on its own. When you apply, the form has a section where you list your work in other countries. The Spanish system will talk to the other countries and they will arrange a combined pension.
You and the Law in Spain

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but that is quite contrary to the experience of a friend who worked in Spain for 3 years, also in Italy and Switzerland for similar period. Most of his other time was spent in the UK.

He receives a separate pension from all 4 countries.

The Eulisses site http://ec.europa.eu/employment_social/s ... of%20cover quotes:-

"To calculate your pension, all periods of social‑insurance cover you had in any country can be taken into account. The pension institution in the country where you live is responsible for processing your pension claim. It should instruct all the social‑security institutions in the other countries to calculate their respective pensions.

Under EU law, if your period of social-insurance cover in one country is not long enough to qualify you for a pension in that country, account will be taken of any periods of cover in other countries.

This means, in principle, that every country in which you paid contributions for at least 1 year will have to pay you an old-age pension."

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:40 pm

My wife paid at least 2 years Social in Spain, so does this mean that she would be able to claim a pension?, even if it is only a small amount, every little helps as they say..She did mention that she'd paid in Spain when applying for her UK pension, but nothing came of it...

I've paid at least 12 years Spanish Social, so hopefully I might get something, in fact would it be worth paying for another 3 years to take me up to the 15 years.?
Regards,
Gordon..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:29 am

A lot depends on how much you have paid into the UK system.

Have a look at the Eulisses site as it should answer all your questions.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 am

Sid,
Thanks for that.!...On paper it looks as if I might get a small Spanish pension...all contributions accepted...gratefully....!

Regards,
Gordon.