Renewing NIE ?????

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Renewing NIE ?????

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 am

Went to the residents day in Nerja yesterday and picked up a couple of leaflets from the Neja Town Hall stand.
One of them contained the following:-

"NIE RENEWAL NOT NEEDED
Even though some certificates state on the left bottom part that it will only last for 3 months, you do not have to renew it. Normally, you will always present a copy to any public office that asks for an NIE. Only as an exception, Trafico, the Traffic Department, will ask for an up to date NIE certificate to buy a car. In this case, apply for a duplicate at Torre del Mar Police Station. Cost 7.03 €."

Either they have it completely wrong or I have misunderstood this "rule"
So far between us my wife and I have had 7 different cars registered in our names and have never been asked for "an up to date NIE certificate". Always needed an up to date Padron certificate. :think: :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renewing NIE ?????

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 am

I recently bought a new car and I only had to produce a Padron certificate. It was just over 3 months old, but they accepted it. No mention of an NIE.

The Nerja Foreigners Department frequently talk complete rubbish.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:15 am

Yes totally agree with you about The Nerja Foreigners Department.
It doesn't help expats who are trying to comply with the various rules/ regulations when they get "official" advice such as this :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Included in another part of the leaflet was the advice that even if you are not a resident and just spend short periods renting in Nerja then you need to renew your Padron entry every 2 years. :thumbdown:
The reason I collected the leaflets was to see what was the current misinformation that they are handing out.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:30 pm

It sounds more like they are talking about a volante, the certificate you get from the town hall to show you are on the Padron which I think only lasts 3 months. As you say, we have only had to produce the padron cert when buying a car here.

I know the person that works there and she didn't know anything about the 2012 ruling for expats to get onto the health system (as I have now done) if you are not a pensioner or working here. I guess it is just as confusing for them to find out what the rules are as much as us, which isn't very encouraging. No wonder we all struggle here!