Income tax

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
buddyboy940
Andalucia.com Amigo

Income tax

Postby buddyboy940 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:30 am

Should I declare the fact that I am married on my Income Tax declaration, My wife doesn't pay tax here as she only has a small UK OAPension, should I claim for her as a dependent, or are we taxed individually.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Income tax

Postby El Cid » Tue May 30, 2017 9:35 am

You must declare her on your tax return. She must also declare her UK State pension. The program used to calculate your tax works out the effect of both individual and joint declarations and tells you which is cheapest.

There is more information in the FAQ section viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27576

Sid

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Tue May 30, 2017 9:48 am

The Web version recalculates also as you add , remove or amend figures anywhere on the form , once something has been changed go to the botom on the form and you will see the resulting calculation effect on your tax situation , try punting in the figures using both options , declaring as joint and as individuals , when you find the best option for your circumstances you can save that and it will remain on the return , you will still have the option to amend and also change to the other option if you later find something that changes the results in your favor .

Once you give her NIE and details on your return then you will be shown on hers , you will then have her return also showing so can amend either from one log on .

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 am

Does your wife have any investments where the interest is taxed at source?
If so she can claim this back on her tax declaration, i.e get a refund provided, of course, that her UK pension plus the interest does not bring her into the taxable bracket.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

buddyboy940
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby buddyboy940 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Thank you all for your replies and advice.
Buddyboy.