Unemployment

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Unemployment

Postby AkoAko » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 am

Would anyone know the situation regarding working while signing on . My wife worked for a business for a month , unfortunately the owner closed as he was not making a profit so the wife signed on to maintain our health cover . Last night she received a tx from a local bar saying she had been recommended by several of their customers and asking if she would work for them for 3 days during the local Ferria . She would very much like to do it , although the bar is fully staffed for normal days there is the possibly that once they have seen her at work and got to know her even for a short time it could lead to employment in the future . The problem is she wont if it means breaking the law , the unemployment office is completely unhelpful and refuse point blank to give advice on what they describe as a hypothetical situation and suggest that after she does the work she make an appointment and they will deal with it then , not a lot of help if she finds out after its to late that she had broke the rules and her claim was withdrawn because of it . The 3 days naturally wont be under contract and it has taken weeks to process everything necessary to sign on and only completed yesterday so were hoping there is something in the rules that will allow her to work and stay registered , money is not an issue as her benefit is less than €5 a day but if it were a lot more she would still prefer to not claim it for the 3 days if she was allowed to do the work as its the possibility of future employment that she is more concerned with .

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Unemployment

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:45 am

I "think" you can work so many hours have a look at citizen advice spain website or f.b group.they have all the info on there. But as its only for three days and more importantly its cash in hand then its hardly something you would want to delcare anyway.its not like shes been offered a contract and its legit.well as legit as you can get.even if you can work say 15 hrs a week the work she is been offered is illegal anyway as theres no contract and its cash in hand

Obviously its something to look into for the future if shes offered contracted work

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 am

Well she could chance it for 3 days and deal with it later if she gets a contract. I suppose she could say she is helping a friend out for no fee as he is busy on feria week. Whats the chances of getting caught? A lot of agro to sign off and then sign back on for a paltry 3 days. I don’t think anyone should work and sign on as its fraud but this is a little different in my opinion.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am

I'll go with you on this costakid, doubtful any official establishment will be checking up on bar workers during feria weeks and the cops will have their hands full !

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone , thought the least i should do is pass on the information we learnt from the meeting with the bar owner who was clearly very well acquainted with the rules .

The bar owner said there is no need to notify the unemployment office as they will do so themselves as they can employ people for situations like this legitimately . Took a copy of NIE and left it to them . Think there is still a bit of a fiddle going on as she says if an inspector was to come in during the time she will be working she is to say she is only working 2 hours each day for the period the Ferria was in town although i think thats for the Bars benefit not the employee .

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Things are working out well now we have the wifes old contract terminated with the help of a Lawyer we no longer have to concern ourselves with health cover as the wife is officially unemployed now . The wife has 2 days voluntary work at MACs so gets her out so shes happier but today she has been back to the unemployment office and they offered her the chance to do a course , either Operaciones Auxiliares De Servicos Administrativos Y Generales or Operaciones De Grabacion Y Trantamiento De Datos Y Documenentos although they didnt have much information other than it was 5 days a week and 430 or 440 hours .

If anyone has any more knowledge then it would be good to know more before committing to something blindly . Obviously we know what the Course description means however it could cover many things and they cant tell her the situation regarding the very small claim she was awarded last week for 10 months . The cost of traveling to the place the course is held would be far more than the payment she receives so would like to know if there is any additional payment made to cover travel while doing a course . The laflet she was given translates to being organised by Almeribox and subsidized by the Junta De Almeria ,

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Just had a read of the thread and can't add value to it from my experiences.

What does surprise me is that there are expats working and contributing but we don't seem to have much info on the subject. I bet Spanish expats in Britain know more about the system.

In the farming sector that I am more familiar with, people go for long periods of time without work e.g. six months. Then they "get work" for 2 or 3 days. That involves a visit to the work providers gestor to hand over 50 or so euros for paperwork to take in to the employment office who then register that and put you back as unemployed and then you just sign on on the due date every three months. Those two or three days work are often an arrangement of convenience. For example you have (or might have) spent time helping a fellow farmer create those nice clean circles under olive trees and he/she did the same for you. It doesn't necessarily involve receiving money. Quite what the advantage is I don't know. You still are part of the health service. Maybe your pension will be slightly larger?

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am

Been through the SEPE website and found the info on the courses but even using google there doesn't seem to be any reference to the situation regarding being paid for anything such as travel so it looks like were going to pay for getting to and from the course , only about €30 a week but would have been nice if there was some assistance .