Idiots' Guide to Renta?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Idiots' Guide to Renta?

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Just got all my figures together to do my tax return for 2018, gone into the new "easier" Renta Web simulation, and am completely at sea already! Is there a guide in English as to what should be entered where? We have simple incomes - state pensions each, government pension for one, small private pension for t'other - and as Sid is aware the gestor we used for last year has made incorrect declarations, so want to do it myself, but this level of technical Spanish is beyond my pay grade. The help facilities in English are almost as bad, but as soon as I click to start doing a dummy return it switches to Castellano....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Idiots' Guide to Renta?

Postby El Cid » Sun May 19, 2019 1:17 pm

It's very simple. All your pension income, apart from your government one goes into box 0003. Your govt pension goes into box 0525 and annuity income if any (use the reduced net figure after you have applied the age reduction - see FAQs) into box 0032.

You enter your wife's income separately by selecting Conyuge in the Modilidad box at the top right.

Your personal details and details of your property are the same as last time but you dont need the property details for the simulator.

Google Translate will translate the whole page.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 19, 2019 1:27 pm

I could not even see boxes, just a list of categories! We are not married so make individual returns, and the annuity that provides my private pension was not purchased with my taxed income, so ineligible it seems on the current interpretation.
Will have a cuppa and look again!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 19, 2019 2:05 pm

That's the summary page - blank until you enter some figures in the declaration form which is where the boxes are. Click on any of the categories and it will open up a dummy declaration. You can page back and forward using the arrow buttons at the top in the middle.

You get back to the summary by selecting "resumen de declaraciones"

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I clicked on something earlier having selected Janet's ID and Digital Certificate and there was a form with all her property details ready filled in, but when I try to log on in the Renta Web it produces a blank form. To save me re-entering all that stuff do you know how to get the partially complete version?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 19, 2019 2:55 pm

This is why I loathe trying to do things like this: it makes me feel totally useless as others are obviously happy with using this system.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I think that when you get round to doing the actual declaration rather than playing with the simulator, all the relevant personal and property details are included. You don't need any digital certificates, etc. to use the simulator, but when you get to the declaration, your digital ID allows them to download the personal info.

Stick with it - next year you will do it all in 10 minutes.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun May 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Not sure why they have a simulator on their site?
If you use the actual declaration then all your previous info, address, bank etc etc and your tax already deducted for savings investments are already filled in.
Then it's quite a simple task of altering/ inputting your income etc for 2018 into the relevant boxes.
Look at your copy of your 2017 declaration to find the relevant boxes if needs be.
A few minutes job then if you don't click the "submit box" now then you can leave it until you are ready to actually submit it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 19, 2019 9:04 pm

They have a simulator as you do not need digital ID to use it.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am

Complete the actual declaration with the reference number. Very easy to obtain. Far less typing, and potential mis typing, involved.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oldbaz95

Postby oldbaz95 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 am

Trying to do a combined declaration for myself and my wife. Is there a box for the combined amount of State Pensions?
Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 21, 2019 7:26 am

No, even though you want to make a joint declaration, the individual incomes must be entered separately. The program will show you the tax due for each person and the tax due for a joint declaration. You then decide on the best one to submit.

Incidentally, why do you need to submit a Spanish tax declaration if you live in the Philippines?

Sid

oldbaz95

Postby oldbaz95 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 am

Thanks very much for the reply!
Spain/Philippines/Brexit? Who knows :-)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks to the support and encouragement on here this idiot has managed to complete his Renta2018 return and submit it. I only hope that the tax man does not pick on ours to say they look different to last year, when the gestor I paid insisted that because my OH's state pension was below the compulsory level to declare, that she should not declare her civil service pension!
As the wise old gurus here say, trust nobody but yourself to do the job - it is simply that presented with 53 pages of tax return in complex business-speak Spanish is frightening, and the website itself very much less than user-friendly.

Alora Man
Tourist

Postby Alora Man » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:12 pm

El Cids guide to the Renta is really good, but I have one query,
The section on savings mentions all savings and personal annuities being taxed. I have a couple of small UK private pension pots that are dormant, I have not contributing to them for years, nor have I decided what to do with them yet, the funds balance (in total about £33k) usually stays the same, often goes down, and occasionally goes up slightly. Is this something I should be including on my Renta?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:25 pm

As you are not taking any income from them there is no tax to pay, and as they are less than €50000 they do not need declaring on a Form 720 as an asset outside Spain.

Alora Man
Tourist

Postby Alora Man » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks peteroldracer, and well done for doing your own Renta, I am still using a gestor but double check his work to make sure correct, crazy I know, will try and do it myself next year when hopefully a little more fluent in Spanish.