Credit/debit cards in retail establishments

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Manchesteral
Resident

Credit/debit cards in retail establishments

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Does anyone know if retail establishments in Spain are legally required to accept debit/credit/bank cards as payment.
Iv'e noticed a number of, admittedly, smaller retailers in the Torrox area who do not accept cards as payment, it doesn't bother me either way but I'm curious ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Credit/debit cards in retail establishments

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:47 pm

I very much doubt if there is any legal requirement.
Some retailers won't accept them because of the high cost that the bank charge them for accepting payments.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Cash is easier to fiddle the books. Our local village shop and P.0 doesn't give receipts if paying by cash (unless asked) but always a receipt if paying by card. Have seen notices here saying no cards if purchase less than £10 but rare. I think retailers can do what they want.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Manchesteral wrote:Does anyone know if retail establishments in Spain are legally required to accept debit/credit/bank cards as payment.
Iv'e noticed a number of, admittedly, smaller retailers in the Torrox area who do not accept cards as payment, it doesn't bother me either way but I'm curious ?
No the only legally mandated way to pay is in cash. A company cannot be forced to accept cheques or cards. You can pay with any denomination of note but coins are restricted and the receiver can refuse to accept payment for a debt if the payment includes more than50 coins. So no paying a 1 Euro bill with 1c coins

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 pm

I worked in retail in France and imagine the same problems apply with cards in Spain, namely that VISA/MasterCard charges aren't cheap, businesses have to rent the terminal to take the payments and there might be a bank servicing charge. My old employers did everything they could to discourage AMEX saying it's the most expensive to process. Hardly fair to expect a village shop to fork out if only making a few transactions a day.