Residency or Padron?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
ksabm
Tourist

Residency or Padron?

Postby ksabm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:31 pm

I recently read on gov.uk website that you should register as a resident if you are living in Spain for more than 3 months and it also says we have to register at the Padron, is that the same thing? I have registered at the Padron within the first 3 months, I'm trying to find out if there is anything else I need to do to be legally eligible to continue to live and work in Spain post Brexit. I got my NIE first thing when I came here on a printed paper and have been told that after 6 months I need to go back to get a 'permanent' one but I'm also hearing that a permanent NIE is not necessary, is that true? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Residency or Padron?

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:22 pm

We both have our original NIE paper certificates that were issued 16 years ago as home owners but not residents. They have an X and a number on them.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 pm

The padron is basically the cenus for the local town. Very different to the below

if you are living in spain for more than three months with an intent to stay and make it your permanant home you need to registar on the list of foreign eu residents. Most people call it residencia. You get a small green sized credit card. Thats the only thing that will make you legal. The NIE is on a white A4 sheet of paper and anyone can get one resident or not. for buying property etc. You dont renew your NIE . Your number lasts for life. Sometimes you might need a new white form for doing officaldom as they want a certificate that is less than three months old.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Are you working as an employee or self employed? Either way you need to be paying tax and social security.

ksabm
Tourist

Postby ksabm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Thank you all. Very helpful.

I'm not self-employed, I'm an employee of a UK company but working in their Spanish branch so my employer deducts tax and social security from my salary each month.