driving in Spain

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

driving in Spain

Postby gavilan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Can anyone tell me what the current position is re driving in Spain on UK licence? ... or point me to a website which will give up-to-date information ... thanks ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: driving in Spain

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:59 pm

If you mean exchanging UK to Spanish licence, all the info is here.
http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 74#p395474
The date for registering in order to be able to make an appointment has been moved to 31 Jan 2020 (rather than 31 Oct). I will have to wait until after 11 Nov to see if I can then make an appointment to exchange as you can no longer use the previous method of cita previa through the website.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Can't find the source but I read somewhen that after Brexit residents can still us their UK licence for 90 days.
If they don't exchange it for a Spanish one before the 90 days is up then they will have to take a Spanish driving test to get a Spanish licence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Gerry, the other thread I referred to seems to clarify things.

Originally we had until 31 October to register with the DGT that we want to exchange licences, then we had up to 9 months to get it done. This has changed due to the extended date, so it's now 31 Jan 2020 + 9 months.

If you don't register to exchange using the special protocol set up by the DGT by the Brexit date, then you have to take a Spanish driving test. (I haven't worked out yet how to actually make the appointment, but it said I couldn't do this until after 11 November as far as I can understand.)

Not sure what happens to UK residents moving here permanently after Brexit. Everything so far seems to relate to the UK leaving without any deal or agreements.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm

my thanks to Wicksey and gerryh ... very helpful and specific info ... again many thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 am

The grace period before you exchange you UK licence for a Spanish one, after Brexit, seems to vary according to where you read it.
Perhaps DGT are extending the grace period to allow for all the licences that need exchanging?
However I believe that as long as you start the exchange process the grace period won't apply.
So get it stared now to be on the safe side.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris