Keeping Fiscal Documents

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Keeping Fiscal Documents

Postby country boy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 pm

We've been here 20 years and have kept everything that has any fiscal implications. We are Tax resident and have complied with all requirements ( hopefully!). The filing cabinets are full and we are downsizing, how long do other members reckon to keep paperwork down here, we used to say 7 years in Blighty. Any observations/experiences welcome.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Keeping Fiscal Documents

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

It varies according to the paperwork concerned and I think you are right, it is around seven years but I know that another member was being asked for receipts dating back nearly twenty years.

I have all our old tax returns going back to the early 1980s. (Even some non-resident patrimonio returns from before we even lived here) A while ago I received a letter from AEAT stating that I should be declaring my private UK pension. They didn't seem to know whether I had been or not but I unearthed all of my tax returns since I started taking my pension going back over twenty years and took them to the tax office. They took one look at the bundle and without examining it said, 'Fine, we believe you'.

Unless it is really causing you considerable inconvenience I would keep everything.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm

You could always scan all documents over, say seven years old, then dump those originals. An app like Scanbot on your phone or tablet should let you save things as PDFs for best legibility. A "happy" few hours snapping away!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks for the input, 'tis as I thought then....never throw anything away!