How to clean/paint log burner?

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

How to clean/paint log burner?

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:48 am

Every summer we have painted the log burner and every time we use the fire the paint burns off :(
We have used the paint especially for log burners/high heat. This summer I have bought the spray paint- Bronpi´s own brand- the make of my log burner. I bought it at the fire shop that was in the Veronica center in Antequera (it´s now closed down :( ) So I can´t go and ask thier advise.
What is the best way to clean/paint the fire? How do I prepare it for the paint? At the moment the fire is whitish instead of black and does not look good. Any suggestions? Thanks :wave:

murbisa
Resident

Re: How to clean/paint log burner?

Postby murbisa » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:54 am

In the UK I just used the tube of black paste and it polished up beautifully. Haven't done anything to one here yet as seems ok at the moment with a wash down.
I have never tried painting one.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:19 am

My grandmother used to have an iron fireplace- come- oven which she used to regularly clean up using something called "oven black", well that's what she called it. It was a black paste not unlike shoe polish, but obviously not that, which she applied by cloth and it came up looking almost spanking new. Sounds the same stuff that murbusa mentioned above. I would imagine you could buy it here in Spain but as to what they call it..?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:42 am

Yes that's the stuff Masterob. I would think somewhere like Leroy Merlin would sell the equivilant. It looks about the size of a large tube of toothpaste and in the UK comes boxed. I can't remember the name of it either.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:03 pm

It was probably called Zebrite Black Lead Polish the tube came in a yellow and red box, sadly it is no longer made. It din't contain any lead it was graphite powder mixed with other chemicals to form a paste.

I think the chemicals may have fallen foul of some EU rule but there is probably a water based and less effective equivalent available.

I used Zebrite on my stove in Scotland but the one I have here is 8 years old and only wipe with a damp cloth, looks as good as new.
Ann

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi,
Can't you use Black Exhaust paint :?: ............something like..........

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5228 ... aust-Paint
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I use this:

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pageview.p ... 6564201109

but someone brought it from the UK for me. I don't know if it is available locally.
Let's go Brandon!

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 pm

My mother-in-law (la bruja) has just sent us some the same stuff that ‘Beachcomber’ uses, but it’s in a tube, now our stove’s looking good again. :clap:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:24 pm

This question and others in a similar vein have always puzzled me. Why do you need to keep painting your log burner?

We have had 2 stoves in the U.K. and have fitted/recommended about 5 others. They are cast iron though and not one has ever needed to be repainted. The last one we had was over 10years old and looked as good as new when we sold our house. They were all actually multifuel burners but we took the grate out and just used them for wood.

The only thing I can think is that the Spanish ones are not cast iron.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:17 am

I thought ours was cast iron- it weighs like cast iron!! The only trouble with it is every time we use it after it has been newly painted the paint burns off.
Also another thing- the ´rope´ that is the sealent on the door needs replacing- how do I do it??? The instruction book that came with the fire has no instructions on keeping the fire looking good.

How do I clean the fire ready to ´restore´ would a fine wire wool be ok?

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Oliveview,
the rope/seal did come loose after a few years but I think we bought some sort of fire cement stuff to glue it back on.

We had a Villager stove in the U.K. and the first one we had in a tiny old cottage got so hot we had to open the windows in the middle of winter to cool off and as it ran the hot water also, we had to run that off as well as it boiled constantly.

Never,ever, had to repaint it, but had to be careful never to get water on it as it could rust. The next one we had ran 10 radiators, we also fitted one for my daughter, and on our recommendation my sister in law ended up fitting 5 in her chalets that she rented out.

The only problem we ever had was if we burned coal in the grate, they burned out very quickly and cost quite a lot to replace, therfore we only burned wood and kept it on overnight very easily.

We have a stove in our house in Spain, it was already fitted when we bought the place but isn't a patch on our Villager. Here in the U.K. we now have a gas fire but my O.H. keeps threatening to get another stove.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:43 pm

the ´rope´ that is the sealent on the door needs replacing- how do I do it???
We did that last year. Bought replacement from local feriterria. It came in a bubble pack with the glue and instructions. Basically you just remove the old one by scraping it out with a screwdriver. Measure the width of the slot as there are 2 different diameters of rope.
Ann

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 pm

I've bought the fire ' black stuff' in a tube, like a toothpaste tube. I'm back in the UK so bought the last tube in the shop and posted it back to home (along with 2 rat traps!) So fingers crossed we will have a nice looking fire this winter.

To prepare the fire do I just rub it down with fine sandpaper?

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:03 pm

posted it back to home (along with 2 rat traps!) So fingers crossed we will have a nice looking fire this winter.
Or two very black rat traps!!
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 am

Package still not here :( Fire still looking bad but we did catch 2 more rats last night :clap: