Regulations for horses in Andalucia

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Regulations for horses in Andalucia

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:58 am

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there, can anyone tell me if your land or housing for a horse needs to be inspected by anyone if it is a private non commercial equivalent of family pet? Is there a website for rules regarding horse accommodation etc - my understanding is they need appropriate shelter/shade, water, hay and food but nothing more specific than that.

Any websites to look up or similar?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Regulations for horses in Andalucia

Postby Enrique » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi Jool,
In Jaén provincia they have tightened up the procedures in recent years, the "Horse" vet comes out and inspects the accommodation, you have horse book with its details logged .
The above is for a non commercial /pet setup.
Unfortunately I'm unable to find our horse docs at this time, so I'm a bit sparse on hard facts...... :oops:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks Enrique, so if you arrive from the UK with your UK horse passport the local vet has to come out and stamp it and check the accommodation? What are the rules re accomm - shelter from sun and rain and water, food and fencing?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Jool,
The main check was for Stable type accommodation, we were using a pig sty and was recommended to get a larger shelter..........they didn't check back. We had no fenced area . The horse was tied in woodland during the day. Had we been keeping her long term a purpose build shelter and fencing was planned.
If you're Spanish you can tether in a field or hobble the horse in full sun and take to water once a day :twisted:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 pm

You have to get a licence from OCA (the Spanish equivalent of DEFRA) in order to keep even just one horse or pony as a family pet. They will send one of their vets out to inspect the property but basically, they seem to be concerned mostly with shelter (adequate, rather than a minimum size) and if the animal is to be stabled, you have to have a space with a concrete floor and block walls for the manure, plus prove how you intend to dispose of it. (And it has to be a certain distance from the nearest dwelling -- similarly, any new stabling has to be at least 500m from ANY dwelling.)
If the animal has free access to a paddock from the stable, (ie no door) then you don't have to have the special 'muck area'...at least this is my understanding of it.
Normally, OCA grant a licence to keep from one to five horses/ponies, or unlimited, the latter being rather like hens' teeth to achieve.
If you don't comply, you are at risk of hefty fines and SEPRONA, the 'nature' arm of the Guardia Civil, get involved. Animals can be impounded or even put down! All good stuff....and as you say, the Spanish of course get away with murder -- although the authorities are -- allegedly -- tightening up... :wtf:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:16 pm

tjtops wrote: If you don't comply, you are at risk of hefty fines and SEPRONA, the 'nature' arm of the Guardia Civil, get involved. Animals can be impounded or even put down! All good stuff....and as you say, the Spanish of course get away with murder -- although the authorities are -- allegedly -- tightening up... :wtf:
If only, if only! the way they keep horses in Spain is shocking. I can hardly bear to look and dont mention the farias!!

There are lots and lots of laws regarding keeping a horse in spain but who the hell takes any notice of those the Spanish certainly dont however as an expat it would be wise to know what the laws are as they would probably come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Sorry not very helpful post Jool just having a rant!!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"