Velez Malaga CF football.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Velez Malaga CF football.

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 am

Just before we came home we needed to go to Velez and parked up on the waste ground by the football stadium. I've always though the stadium was a great little set up and wondered what sort of standard the club were. Anyway on this day a match was about to kick off and it surprised me the amount of speccies there, the bar nearby was packed and I'd say there was over a 1000 watching.

I had a look at the game for 10 minutes (much to OHs disgust) from a vantage point outside the ground and the quality looked very good in all honesty.

The scoreboard said Vel v Mar........wonder who Mar are?

Does anyone know the status of this club?, are they like a conference side or a bit higher/lower?

As I say a lovely pro looking setup from what I saw on matchday.

Thanks.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Velez Malaga CF football.

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 pm

It's in the Third division, which is the fourth level of The Spanish football football system. The top two are national leagues. The third level is the Segunda División B, which currently features 80 teams divided into 4 groups of 20.
The Tercera División features 361 teams divided into 18 regional groups.

What I like about this system is, within the clubs they have a great youth policy. From the age of about 8 years old kids can play in one of their teams. From 8 -12 they play 7 a side going sideways across a normal pitch allowing them to have two match being played at the same time.
From about 12 onwards they start to play on a normal sized pitch. Usually they create team based on demand so in each age group there are various divisions with promotion and relegation and some teams have three teams but 2 is the most common.
I would suppose that some of the Velez Malga team have come through this system so you can understand why the community comes out to support its team because many are a part of it.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Hiya Mark, thanks for that info., did a google on the club and drew a complete blank. From what you say with so many teams it is hard to equate to what standard of UK soccer the Velez team relates to, as I say I watched for 10 minutes or so and it was controlled stuff, not Sunday league standard in any way.

I agree about the set up in Spain too. I played at a level classed as county combination which most teams including us had their own "grounds". That's about as far as it went with the only real facilities being two dugouts for the manager and subs and a changing room with tea urn :D

The only "proper" grounds we played on were reserve sides of bigger teams who competed in our league, i.e. Southport,Marine,South Liverpool etc.

In Spain or local to us anyway the little towns towns all seem to have super little "stadia", i.e. Competa,Torrox etc. which are in use constantly for the kids and others, complete with terracing,floodlights and clubhouse. As I say nothing like that in the UK for the bread and butter game, most amateur teams having to use the local park complete with broken glass and dog mess :thumbdown:

Thanks again for the reply, appreciated.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Mar is Marbella. Details of the club are here ...

http://www.futbolvelez.com/tag/velez-cf/
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Marbella FC has a lot of financial problems, not sure of the details, seen the headlines but haven't read the full report. I know at one time the players did not get paid for months. The stadium looks ok. There are excellent sports facilities in marbella. Junior facilities are good in this area of the UK too, many have astro turf, whatever that is :?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Don't think Marbella are the only ones with problems. There were a couple of teams dropped out of league with Velez last season, I think because of financial problems. There were posters up in Velez about saving the club, but they seem to have spent quite a bit of money on the stadium during the summer. Himself goes occasionally - especially as it's only 5 euros for wrinklies. But they're aren't very good, even with a new trainer this season. At the minute they're about 14th in the league.
AlisonB