Setting google UK as your default search provider

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Setting google UK as your default search provider

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Lots of search engine options here:

http://mycroftproject.com/
I thought this needed a thread of its own. I can´t believe how easy it is after trying for ages to load google.co.uk as my search provider without any success.

Thanks Beachcomber :thumbup:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Setting google UK as your default search provider

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Not sure I really understand the problem. Why can't you just go into your browser settings and set your chosen search provider?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi Miro,
From Marks previous posts on the subject he wants a different home page.

I do it your way and have Google.co.uk as home page........and go from there...... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Actually, I think he wants google.co.uk (as opposed to google.es or google.com) as his default search provider from the address bar. Since I'm presently using Chrome and have google.co.uk as one of my search engine options, I was thinking it's easy. Having just looked at the latest versions of IE and FF, I realise perhaps it's not so straightforward.
I usually do as you say anyway - set my homepage as google.co.uk, then it's easy to open a new tab and search from there.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Miro,

"then it's easy to open a new tab and search from there".........why....just search from home page.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Well, OK, just go to Home and search. I was just thinking if you have the browser set to open new tabs at your homepage...
If you don't have google.co.uk as an option in Chrome, it's easy to add: open the customize menu from the three horizontal lines at the top right of the browser window; select "settings" then "manage search engines"; under "other search engines", complete the three fields as follows: Google UK; google.co.uk; https://www.google.co.uk/#q=%s
Click "done". If you now hover over Google UK, there will be an option to set as default.
I presume there will be similar methods for other browsers. I'll investigate if required.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Ha! I finally realise why Mark posted this! I've just spent a pleasant few minutes investigating the solution to a problem that I didn't have nor had any real interest in (I had nothing better to do) and see now that the link Mark re-posted (courtesy of Beachcomber) allows a one-click solution to a lot of messy fiddling around in whichever browser you're using. Excellent. :clap:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:59 pm

I just find it easier to add a search engine to Pale Moon from the Mycroft project which is why I gave the link in the first place.
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm

I prefer to use the address bar at the top to type in my search.
Having said that, I do as Miro and Enrique to search for Spanish sites but from the bookmarks bar. Even then if I type in a Spanish search in Google uk or com, I mostly get the results I need so and use it as a last resort.
The problem is with the .Com one too many American results display.

enforcer

Postby enforcer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi,

I found a solution to this if you are using the Microsoft Edge browser - go to the site below and set the country you want your search engines for, then follow the instructions. Worked for me...

http://orthodox.io/edge/

I hope this helps!