Registering UK vs EU sourced car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
WoodlandHills
Tourist

Registering UK vs EU sourced car

Postby WoodlandHills » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:08 pm

There is lots of useful information here and elsewhere online about bringing over a UK vehicle. Is the process the same for a car bought in say...Germany or France? If so then I will have no problem finding out what to do. Since we will want LHD buying in an LHD country makes the most sense. There also seem to be more choice outside of Spain. At least according to mobile.de ....... I have always felt that casting a wide net is the best way to shop for big ticket items like cars, cycles, TV's etc. and I do love to buy used!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Registering UK vs EU sourced car

Postby Lyric » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:24 pm

I believe the rules are the same, you might pick up a Jeep in Germany cheaper than you will get one in Spain but the Spanish will get you for the taxes, sort of inevitable really, but you are correct RHD is undesirable, not insurmountable but undesirable.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Hola

One word of caution; you will have to pay the first registration tax on any newly owned car that needs matriculating; from memory, to avoid the tax, you must have owned it for at least one year

Davexf

WoodlandHills
Tourist

Postby WoodlandHills » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:52 pm

I should probably make this a new thread, but are there any discounts for classics? I am guessing probably not as far as import and duty, but are the yearly fees lower?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:58 am

Sourcing cars in Europe is quite easy and there are some bargains to be found.
Importing a UK right hand drive vehicle can be a challenging exercise though, a rather costly experience, however if you purchase at a good price it can still be cheaper.
For many people I would suggest that it is easier and probably wiser to purchase a car locally in the area that you are domiciled,still bargains to be found, but if you are 'thick skinned' and like a challenge ( like me ),then buy in UK and there are probably also more 'classic car' selections to be located.
I brought an MGB Roadster from the UK over 25 years ago, it was fun, but I wouldn't personally have a convertible car in Spain...they attract too many problems.
I don't know the current situation regarding annual fees for classic cars, but I'm sure there are plenty of members who can advise accordingly.
There are many Classic car clubs to join in Spain, a good way to integrate.!

Have a Good Weed Free Day... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 am

Not sure about Spain and classics cars registering but as we are all the same in europe it should be free of tax for a classic the same as the UK. Buy a lhd if you are looking to stay for a while. Easier to sell if you decide to return to the UK.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:47 am

Classic vehicles in Spain have to be registered as such with an 'H' (historico) registration. Details here:

http://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id ... 1995-19000
Let's go Brandon!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Yuo could try www.autoscout24.de if you want to import from Germany or www.autoscout 24.es if you want to scource one in Spain.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi Manchesteral,
Need to use URL tab in Posting box for any link you post...........

http://www.autoscout24.es/

see.............

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34834
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.