Velez Malaga

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Paulinmalaga
Resident

Velez Malaga

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:26 pm

We are going to be looking to buy in this area over the next few weeks, any local knowledge regarding areas to avoid or general tips?
I So Bella tis you

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Velez Malaga

Postby IreneD » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:39 pm

I think you'll find this thread very useful. Free at Last, especially (who lives there) has given lots of useful info over the 2 pages of the thread.

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... lez+Malaga

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi Paulinmalaga,
Handy for a Local Lawyer too.........

http://www.gfmendez.com/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:38 pm

PM Free at Last. You will get all the info you need.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, folks! I don't think Paulinmalaga has enough posts yet to be able to send pms, but if he has any more questions apart from what was covered in the thread which Irene helpfully linked to (which did include a bit about areas to avoid) I'll be happy to try to answer them.

I think Paul has made a good choice but then I'm biased, as I'll have been iiving here happily for 10 years next month and wouldn't want to go anywhere else. :)

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks for the input, we are currently reading all the various posts here and elsewhere and have a stack of local magazines and newspapers which we are getting stuck into. But will be taking a few days soon to walk the town and get a true feel for the place. Will update as we go. Thanks again
I So Bella tis you

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:We are going to be looking to buy in this area over the next few weeks, any local knowledge regarding areas to avoid or general tips?
We stumbled on this area many years ago, never even heard of Velez Malaga then. Never regretted it, its an ideal compromise between totally Spanish and over anglicised Spanish. Just my personal opinion.
Gerry

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Like Free at Last I am biased as well, however I would suggest you look down on the flat as opposed to the old town area. Depends what you are looking for but if you are looking long term then health and age need to be taken into consideration. Also there is quite a lot of crime in the old town(this information was provided by people who live there). Just search carefully. Good luck.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:21 am

There have, in years gone by, been spates of house burglaries (always when the houses have been unoccupied) in the old town, but it has not been happening for quite some time now. There were also a couple of incidents involving members of gypsy families fighting amongst themselves, but the families concerned were evicted some months ago in a large police operation and it is now extremely quiet. Apart from that, as I said in the other thread there is no reason for anyone to be concerned about their personal safety when living in or walking through the old town even in the early hours of the morning.

Sur in English published an article several months ago which said that the incidence of crime was actually higher in some small villages than in the larger towns, and Torrox had to set up a special police task force last year due to the high number of burglaries taking place there. Some crime can be encountered virtually anywhere in Spain these days.

http://www.diariosur.es/malaga/201508/3 ... 13705.html

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 am

A British ex pat told me of an incident only two weeks ago. I know of other incidents as I'm sure you do. Anyway, all I said was pick your area carefully.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks Truebrit and Freeatlast for the tips. Totally by coincidence we got talking to a lady at the bus station in Torre del Mar who was a long term resident of Velez who also suggested looking on the flat. She steered us away from a few areas in the old historic area of the town which she said has a big drug problem, but we will draw our own conclusions once we have walked the town top to bottom. She kept mentioning an arch and be careful once you go through it as its in her words “The Wild West”.
I So Bella tis you

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Ah, well in that case I've been living happily in Dodge City for the last 10 years, then, lol.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Well Velez was bandit country in the 60s and 70s. Its much better now. There is crime in every major town and all big towns have a drug and burglary problem.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:32 pm

truebrit wrote:A British ex pat told me of an incident only two weeks ago. I know of other incidents as I'm sure you do. Anyway, all I said was pick your area carefully.
I know someone who had a laptop stolen about 2 weeks ago after they'd gone out and left their back door wide open (as they were in the habit of doing, so they told us after the event). I'm not aware of any other "incidents", whatever they may be.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Velez is a great example of a working Spanish town, but as Costakid points out as with all major towns to keep the "Western" theme going it does have it's "The Good The Bad and The Ugly", so your plan to walk the town is a solid idea and you can draw your own conclusions. Personal research is key in my opinion.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:42 pm

I can remember an incident of a couples door being kicked in and them being robbed and also an incident with a gun. I don't really think this is helping the poster so best to leave it to him to decide.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:52 pm

The incident with the gun is what led up to the families being evicted which I referred to earlier in the thread. It was an argument taking place between gypsy families during which one of them fired a shotgun. Following that their Spanish neighbours got up a petition and demanded a meeting with the Ayuntamiento which resulted in an early morning operation being conducted involving the Policia Local, Policia Nacional and Guardia Civil when the families were evicted. We were away on holiday at the time of the evictions but were told about it on our return by one of the neighbours who had been involved in the petition. According to them some families living in La Gloria were also evicted as part of the same operation.

As a matter of fact my house was broken into by the front door being forced open (whilst we were out) but that was over 7 years ago now so hardly recent. That was one of the spate of robberies I referred to earlier when quite a number of houses, some belonging to Spanish residents, some to foreigners, were burgled. That tends to happen when the same people are responsible for all the crimes and then move on to a different area.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:06 pm

costakid wrote:Well Velez was bandit country in the 60s and 70s. Its much better now. There is crime in every major town and all big towns have a drug and burglary problem.
Quite right, and not only in big towns either. Anybody who thinks it doesn't go on in their area is kidding themselves, and sometimes the culprits can be quite surprising as this case of a man who was selliing drugs from his invalid vehicle in Torrox shows.

http://sevilla.abc.es/andalucia/malaga/ ... 01907.html

Why, there was even a case "on the flat" in Vélez reported a few months ago when an employee in a local bar was arrested for selliing cocaine and cannabis from under the counter. Just can't get the staff nowadays, even in the best of areas. :lol:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:27 pm

When Paulinmalaga is walking the length and breadth of Vélez-Málaga (which is a very good idea and will, as has been said, allow him to gain his own impression of various areas), the only "barrio" I would advise him to be wary in is Carabanchel. It's nowhere near anywhere in the old town, but is at the exteme southern area of town when entering Vélez from the direction of Torre del Mar. Just by the roundabout at the La Mata bus stop take a right if coming from Torre, on the right hand side you have the La Mata urbanisation and on the left hand side is Carabanchel. It's the only place in Vélez I have ever felt uncomfortable walking through in broad daylight, and wanted to get out as soon as possible, let alone at night.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:37 pm

This is the biggest anti-drug operation reported in recent months in the Axarquia area, and involved houses in Los Romanes and Benamargosa, both small villages, as well as in Rincon de la Victoria. It is absolutely everywhere.

http://www.elmundo.es/andalucia/malaga/ ... b46dc.html