Del Paso - Beware !!!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Del Paso - Beware !!!

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:45 pm

I’ve just returned from a trip to Spain, where I hired a car from Del Paso. I wasn’t overly impressed by the set up, but I suppose it was no worse than most of them. As usual, they were keen for me to take out their expensive extra insurance, but as I have an annual excess insurance I declined. However, their office was plastered with posters & a looping video, all pointing out the cost of fixing damages. Bearing this in mind, we inspected the car as far as possible, given that it was dark and there was just one flood light, which meant that it created a lot of shadow so unless you got the right angle you wouldn’t necessarily spot a smallish dent or scratch. We reported a couple of things (bent number plate & a small dent above the badge on the boot that we missed first time around) and they stamped the hire form to indicate these had been spotted.

They warn you to allow 30 mins for the return of the car, so they can thoroughly inspect the vehicle. Surprise, surprise, they found a very thin scratch that ran along the lower side of the doors & wheel arch. It was the sort of scratch you might get when passing a bush or olive tree - the kind everyone picks up from time to time. It is entirely possible that it was already there when we collected the car, but not visible in the poor light.

I had already pointed out to them that the brakes were in a dangerous condition (they sounded as though there was no pad/lining left), so they gave me a ‘discount’ - instead of charging me 720 euros for 2 new door panels, they graciously only charged me for a wax & polish at 400 euros !! :shock:

Not surprisingly, I won't be using Del Paso again :roll: :wink:

As I write this, I am on hold to speak to the excess insurers (20 mins so far !) I will report on their service in a separate thread - not looking good so far !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Del Paso - Beware !!!

Postby IreneD » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:24 pm

That's rotten for you, Chrissie - sorry you are having this experience. So unfair! Good luck with your claim to the excess insurers, hope you get your money back.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:56 pm

I just took my car back on Sunday and had no problem at all!
Car hire cost me €23.46 for 7 days plus ( about 25 Eros for "refuelling fee")
No pressure on excess insurance, I have my own with insurance4carhire.com, and the fuel refund has already been credited back to my account.
I take photos all round the car when I pick it up and let them know, nicely, that I'm doing it.
I once had a prang with a del paso car and I thought the charge was excessive but my excess insurance refunded it within a week.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Speak to your card company. Tell them you have been ripped off and they will look into it.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 pm

I've got the claim form now, and I'm just waiting for the bill transaction to show up on my account before sending everything off.
Not a bad idea costakid, might try that :-)
Gus - glad you don't have problems - maybe they reckoned a woman (not on her own, but my son wasn't inside with me) was a soft touch..we did take photos of the damage we spotted, but even if we'd seen the scratch in the poor light, I doubt it would have shown up - even in broad daylight it is difficult to see it on a photo !

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 am

We had such a bad start and end to our holiday that it has put me off going away for a while. Norwegian air cancellation. They told us plane would be delayed to small hours then at 11pm, told us not flying until 7.30pm next night. We had been in Edinburgh airport since 3,30pm that day. We all had to go out into the streets of Edinburgh to find our own hotel. Knocked doors and eventually found Travelodge - 149euros. Lost our hotel night in Malaga due to cancellation. Had phoned Atlascars twice to let them know of flight situation.
Then arrived in Malaga around 11.30pm next night. Went to Del Paso, got the car. Charged 84 euros for being late. Even though we paid for that time anyway. Like Chrissiehope, midnight by now, very dark. Hubby took what photos he could. Quite a hostile rception, compassionless re our annual excess. Told at desk that the car was brand new. It had 30000 on it. Also had to pay for second driver there when I had been under the impression that it was free. Witheld 1500euros from credit card.
On return, we have never in all our years seen such scrutiny, fine tooth comb and practically a magnifying glas. Eventually they found a minute scratch, which you could hardly see, like ones where small stones on road hit. Another 130euros. Del Paso Never again.
I have the claim forms out too, but I just cant be bothered. I am fed up if the Highway robbers

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:22 am

A couple of truly nightmare stories there. They sound like a bunch of dodgy and cowardly cretins. I hope they suffer from the bad publicity on here and hopefully other media outlets.

I've never hired a car over there as I just fear being put in that situation, my bloody head would just go.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 am

Let's go Brandon!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:21 am

Just checked your Tripadvisor link Beachy before posting mine, exactly the same one. Plenty more bad stories show up though in many reviews. Always the same scenario, putting the person under pressure and demanding money for some bogus issue when they know the customer is under pressure and has a flight to catch.

Scum.

PS, Posting on their Facebook page.........it'll be getting deleted as you're typing it. Batter Tripadvisor with it instead!!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:42 am

Chrissie,
Sorry to hear that you had problems with the car hire, but hope that you enjoyed the rest of you little break. :wave:

Regards,
Gordon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Maureenscot I hope you are going to claim your compensation for your delayed flight, 400€ pp under EU rule 261/2004. I have done it with Monarch and got it in the end, I would claim for everything you can as it sounded such an awful journey for you.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:14 pm

Yes, Wicksey, hubby has done the letter, mentioning 2 pensioners trailing round Edinburgh at midnight with all the luggage not knowing if we would find anywhere. Most of the flight folk had been trying to phone with most hotels full. We found out next day, that one family with kids stood their ground and were given an airport hotel. We were all told this was not possible. Just shows you! Hubby has also filled in the 'Which' compensation form with all the photocopies of the extra charges.
But we cannot seem to find the UK address for Norwegian Air. Will keep looking. Will keep you all posted re eventual outcome.
Beachcomber, will try Tripadviser etc once we get through this lot. Also sent complaint email to Atlas. Got rhetorical reply mentioning terms and conditions etc which did not even apply to us with a final 'hope you enjoyed your experience'

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Beachcomber - thanks for those links, I will definitely post on at least one of them

maureenscot - so sorry to hear of your nightmare - at least our return flight with Norwegian was OK

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:49 pm

Had a wonderful time in Andalucia as usual, a week in Antequera, enjoyed two festivals there. Another week in Pruna. Lots of sightseeing and via verde. But we are getting too old to be in a panic about flights, airports and car hire companies. I get in a state of high doh before I go and start to panic about the return journey, and we always get ripped off no matter how much we try to prepare

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:46 pm

As I have said on here before ,I had my credit card cloned at Delpasso to the tune of £3500.
kerbut

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 pm

kerbut, I didnt know that or would definitely not have used them. In fact I had never heard of them before we got that rental. Sorry to hear that. Hope your credit card company repaid you. But it is also all the hassle that puts you off as well trying to get your money back.

Incidentily, read today that car rental comparisson sites have until end of January to get their act together and they must print the actual car price that you pay when you arrive, including the usual hidden costs

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:10 am

Many thanks Maureen , in fact it was the Credit card that alerted me to unusual spending ,contacted me ,stopped the card ,reimbursed me and sent new card.
kerbut

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Two years ago I had a similar bad experience with DelPaso. This was the gist of my complaint to my credit card company and the broker "Economycarrentals" :

"On returning the car, the woman, obviously in an utterly illegal conspiracy with the other staff, cursorily inspected the car then quickly inserted the key in the driver's door, withdrew it and said "Did you pay for insurance or leave a deposit " to which I replied "I left a €300 deposit" ( I have an annual personal policy). She marched back to the office and declared " The lock is broken, I am deducting €150 from your deposit"

There then ensued a heated argument where I insisted that the lock was not broken, she insisted that it was. As she did so, she authorised a refund on my credit card of only €150 against my wishes.

Assaulted

I then said that I wanted to photograph the door and lock and as I turned to the door, I noticed that the car had been whisked away to the cleaning shed at the far end of the car park. She said I was not allowed to photograph the car but I insisted and walked towards the shed. A male member of the Delpaso staff was summoned to prevent me from walking through the car park to the car and as I insisted, he assaulted me and stole my mobile phone from my hand!

As you can imagine, at this point I was incandescent! I borrowed my wife's phone and telephoned the Policia. The Manager of Delpaso then returned my phone but would still not allow me to photograph the car.

After about 15 mins, the Policia arrived and I explained the situation. They allowed me to photograph the car and asked if I wanted to make a complaint against the member of staff who assaulted me and stole my phone. Unfortunately, we were by this time late for our flight so I declined to do so.

This is obviously an organised conspiracy to commit fraud by Delpaso Car Hire. I Googled " Delpaso Car Hire Reviews" and found many other people have been caught by this fraud.

You have been warned! Please pass this information to friends, family and colleagues."

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Unbelievable!!!!!! Have you put it on Social Media?

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Yes, I did at the time. I also complained to Economycarrentals and received an apology. I also claimed and received the £150 back from my Credit Card Company.
It appears from previous posts here and online reviews that the scam continues to be regularly committed.
A continuing problem is that if you use the online brokers such as Economycarrentals, you often do not find out which Company you have been allocated until you have committed to book and receive your voucher.If Delpaso appears on yours, be very afraid!
Personally, since this debacle, I have used Malagacar.com directly with no problems.