Getting NIE in England

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
benal82
Tourist

Getting NIE in England

Postby benal82 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 am

Hi there,

Has anyone managed to obtain their NIE from the Spanish Consulate in England, prior to leaving the UK and moving there? If so, do they need to be renewed upon arrival?

many thanks! :-)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting NIE in England

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:39 am

Someone may correct me but I thought the only way was going to the Police with papers and pictures. Thats what we did.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 am

I think your solicitor in Spain can do it for you or maybe a Gestor.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 am

I've never heard of being able to get the NIE in the UK. One thing for sure is that pre-brexit, they don't need renewing.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:39 pm

I haven't done it myself, but yes, it is possible to get an NIE number via a Spanish Consulate in the UK (they send it through to the Spanish Police on your behalf). According to this link it takes approx. 4 weeks to get one via this route, and their website says that if you are intending to move to Spain to live you should not apply for an NIE by this route, but register as a resident when you arrive as you are given an NIE as part of that process.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... s/NIE.aspx

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:18 pm

I have arranged this for several people who found the experience painless and quick. On each occasion once the NIE had been issued it was sent by email as an attachment. The Spanish police were not involved in any way whatsoever which it is probably why the system works so well.

In the first instance contact Mercedes de la Granda by email:

[email protected]
Let's go Brandon!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:10 pm

I got an Italian one via the Consulate in Edinburgh. Completely straightforwar and easy. No police or town halls involved. Different system maybe

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Hola,

Yes I did mine at the Spanish Embassy in London; my children also did theirs there but it was in 2002 so things may well have changed by now

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:39 pm

We had to go to the police station in Malaga to get ours but that was 13 years ago. That was the system then but it may well have changed.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:54 am

Unless you need one quickly for maybe buying a house why the need to get one in the U.K?

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:21 pm

My brother and his wife are moving here from Oz in December, they're organising their NIE with the Australian Spanish consulate. Their priority will be purchasing a car, they plan on renting long term before buying a property.

terry

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:13 pm

We got our in the UK 10 years ago at the Spanish consulate, it was dead easy to do, not sure if the process is still the same. The only thing that could be difficult is that you need a Spanish address to post them to as they won't send them to the UK.

bernipops3
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bernipops3 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:09 pm

When we needed NIEs we phoned a couple of local solicitors in our home town in the UK and asked if there were any notaries in the area who could sort them out for us and lo and behold there was one. Minimal fuss and reasonable cost. It was ten years ago though and we were probably very lucky.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Just seen this but wanted to say that I have obtained NIE for myself and partner from the Consulate in London. It cost about £8.25 each and we had to take the completed forms up and a copy of passport along with our passport which they certify there. You have to pay cash there, and it all took about 30 minutes (it would probably have been quicker, but there internet was playing up!!) we received our NIE through email about 10 days later.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 am

I would say if you ar able to do it from the consulate it might be less hassle

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:04 pm

It was no hassle at all, in fact it was absolutely painless - the only error we had made was that we had completed the form and where it asked what we required the NIE number for we had completed that in English, still not to worry a quick swipe with Tippex and the error was removed and rectified by the Consulate staff correctly!

It all took less than an hour, which included queueing outside, signing the forms in front of the authorised person, going to the bank to withdraw cash (they don't take any other form of payment!).

The only "problem" was that the lift wasn't working properly and this seemed to cause the female employee quite a lot of frustration and to her making the statement "welcome to spain where nothing works" :lol:

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Good for you

Livethedream
Tourist

Postby Livethedream » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 am

We went to the Spanish Consulate in London on Thursday to apply for our NIE. As others have said it was very straightforward. We had been unaware that we would have to queue outside (we were there before it opened) It was freezing cold but luckily not raining. Once it opened the queue moved fairly quickly.

The lady did tell us that the Consulate staff are going on strike from this Monday (13th February) she did say this was indefinite. We have since looked on the Consulate website and up until yesterday there was no mention of it. :shock:

MSclaire
Tourist

Postby MSclaire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Aside from passport and the NIE form, can I ask what types of papers/paperwork you need to bring with you (if any) to the consulate?
Going down this route sounds a lot less hassle so leaning towards doing it ourselves :)
Claire

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 pm

I got my NIE from the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh, not England, I know, but close. I phoned them, made an appointment and they told me what to bring. Four weeks later, after a very pleasant interview, I had my correct documentation. It's really not that difficult!