Spanish water dog puppy!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish water dog puppy!

Postby Torrox_campo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Aka perro de agua español. Thinking of getting one puppy of this breed in chocolate and some white** . Anyone knows one of those for sale within 1-2 hour by car from Torrox please reply or PM. Advice also sought from people who have dogs from Spain and travel with them to and back from UK. Many thanks.

** refer pure breed.

Is it OK to purchase them from this website?

https://www.milanuncios.com/perros-en-m ... a%F1ol.htm

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish water dog puppy!

Postby Enrique » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi Torrox_campo,
I trust you have done your homework on this breed..........

Athletic, Diligent, Loyal, Intelligent, Affectionate, Trainable...........note first ingredient..Athletic..........ie loves to move............

I'm involved with one daily as he comes from a nearby farm to play with my Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz , and they play all day running and wrestling .

I would look in my local Rescue place first.......... :idea:

If going to pay money for a puppy go to Breeder and see parents ..........some advertisements .......... (MIL ANUNCIOS) will be from Puppy Farms.......... :thumbdown:

Having said that I got (rescued) my three Siberian huskies from a puppy farm........I used to walk the parent dog before getting involved.....

The best dogs I've ever had.........even raced two of them in European Canicross championship event.

What ever dog you get it should come with a Pets Passport showing Chip and vaccinations.

As for taking dog to UK see check list ..............

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/infor ... -checklist

Enjoy your new dog , you will have loads of fun and exercise......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Please don't buy, rescue, there are so many .................

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:45 am

Did that advert say they deliver dogs by courier??? "se pueden enviar por mrw mascotas por 70e a toda la peninsula" ..... please, please do not buy a dog like that. As Lyric says, there are so many abandoned dogs looking for homes here, of all different types and breeds.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:08 am

Surprisingly often, there are pure bred perros de agua (even if they have lost their pedigree status by not being chipped before being abandoned or lost) in shelters and municipal pounds. If you are not intending to breed, PLEASE check out the rescues first - a rescue should also come to you neutered, with full vac s chip and blood checks for the mediterranean diseases, all done for you at the special Protectora rates, which you will be expected to pay as an adoption fee/donation. If it is a pup too young for all of the above, you should be asked to contract to get it done in due time. Usually they will provide advice also as to which vets in the area they use so you can benefit from the adoption-rates ...
If you decide to go for a breeder-produced pup, you MUST visit, see the establishment and how it is run, meet the parent-s of the litter and feel happy with all of that before you agree to buy. If you are not able to visit and view, or if the pup is from a shop-window, then be advised that pups from puppy farms will very likely carry deformities, inbred genetic problems, sociability problems, and complete lack of redress if you discover these problems later on.
If you think a young dog from a shelter may be a Pig-in-a-Poke, then be aware that a little pup from a puppy farm is far more of a risk.

Finally, does it have to be pure-bred? Are you needing an allergic-free coat perhaps? Or if a cute little woolly mutt is all you need, go visit the shelters!

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Thank you Enrique, Lyric, Wicksey and Gasman for all your advices. Yes we have been to Torrox animal shelter to look for one in November last year and planning to go to another shelter in Nerja in February.

I don't think it's as easy getting a puppy than a dog and to get a Spanish water dog puppy from animal shelter is harder still. We often travel by Britanny ferry so we are aware of the regulation regarding pet; only we have never experienced with one.

The reason we like the breed is the non shedding hair and the size of this breed. Before we thought about getting one Spanish sheep herding dog but they are quite large breed so in term of travel they are not as easy as the agua dog. A cocker spaniel was another choice but being ruled out by other members of the family :D

I refer to start with a puppy because of the bonding and the experience with a puppy which isn't the same with a dog. I'll keep looking for one from animal shelter but if we have to get one in private, we will need to see the parents or at least the mother and the environment.
Last edited by Torrox_campo on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't think you need worry too much about bonding. We have 4 abandonados, various breeds, we picked off the streets of our village over the last 6 years. They came to us between an estimated 1 and 2.5 years old. The bonding comes more from the love and trust between us rather than age.
Last edited by rafiki on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:50 pm

We have four perro de aguas,all four vary in terms of energy,however on the whole they do need quality exercise consisting of off the lead and instruction,some are easily bored and need something to do,they also require consistant,quiet instruction,they are sensitive to any harsh voices or treatment,fiercely loyal also and are not overly fond of strangers.The website milanuncios has various breeds including aguas,many of the puppies though being offered for sale at 6 weeks and have been fed on bread and in really unhygienic circumstance,which is not a good start for a puppy,having said that some puppes are a little older and have come from a good home and due to circumstances are for sale,though they maybe a little older will make good dogs.Also a rescue centre in mijas called ace charity have had quite a lot of aguas lately and after checking you out i think you can go on a waiting list,though most of the dogs will be older but still make good pets.Two of our aguas were older when they came to us and did have some minor issues which we have ironed out through instruction,they make super pets and you will never be alone again as they will follow you everywhere including the bathroom if you dont lock the door,so be warned.Also if you google perro de aguas in spanish you will find a dont buy rehome an agua facebook page,worth a look.hope this helps.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:25 pm

i Forgot to say that brown and white or solid brown are predominantly males and you will pay more for this colour,also cream aguas are more prone to matting,solid black and black and white are less prone to matting,all will require regular watering as the spanish like to call it to keep the coat in good condition and regular clipping winter and summer and they do shed some hair and quite a bit of dust,twigs etc so regular checking when they have been out for a good run.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Thank you rafiki and kexon for your advice. Yes the bonding may be similar between the puppy and the dog but I think the experience is difference just like the difference in bringing up a baby or a child. Interesting point about the chocolate colour is dominantly male, we don't mind about the cost if we can get a right puppy. I think a cream or white coat shows the dirt easier than darker coat especially this breed loves water so they get dirty more often. My wife likes walking so there is no problem about the excercise.
We hope to avoid puppy farm by asking members of Andalucia.com if they know any puppy available.

El Trotamundos

Postby El Trotamundos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi
If you are still looking for a pedigree SWD puppy, I can recommend a well known breeder just north of Almeria

PM me for details.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Thank you El Trotamundos! I have sent you an PM. :thumbup:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 pm

We picked up 4 abandoned puppies from a rescue group to go to another rescue in Extremadura, I put the puppies on the rescue groups fb page and a lady asked for a pre adoption form, it was filled in, returned and puppy reserved subject to home check within an hour, breed? Water dog, cream and brown