Connecting to utilities etc after buying an apartment in Marbella

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Espana101
Andalucia.com Amigo

Connecting to utilities etc after buying an apartment in Marbella

Postby Espana101 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:36 am

We have just bought an apartment in Marbella which already has all relevant utilities connected. We need to get the utilities transferred to us and set up standing orders for the council tax etc.

Our lawyer has quoted a frankly rapacious fee for doing this (€650 + IVA). I am sure that I can beat him down, but am so cross about his quote that I am looking elsewhere. Any recommendations for others who can perform this service efficiently and at a reasonable price (and advice on what we should be paying for this) would be greatly appreciated.

I don't speak Spanish but can understand enough to get by. I have the previous owners bills for electricity (Andesa), gas (gas Natural Andalucia) and water (Hidralia) and we have a local bank account. Is there any reason why I actually can't do this myself online, as I could in the UK ?

Finally, is there any fixed time limit for getting everything transferred ?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Connecting to utilities etc after buying an apartment in Marbella

Postby gerryh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 am

Do you know the previous owner?
If you do both you and he could go to the variuos utility companies and get the contracts switched to your name.
That Is how the previous owner and I got all the contracts changed to my name.
It is in his interest to do this as he still be liable for the bills as they are still in his name unless he has terminated the contracts.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Espana101
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Espana101 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 am

Its a useful thought, thanks. I am not in direct contact with the vendor (he did not want me to have his contact details) and my guess is that if I ask the agent, he will say it needs to be sorted through the lawyers. I will try though.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Espana101,
Welcome to The Forum............ :D

First you need to chill and put your Spanish hat on.........they do things (if they do them) differently .

"Our lawyer has quoted a frankly rapacious fee for doing this (€650 + IVA)"............that's basically saying I don't want to do this.

Back in the day I was quoted €160 to fill in Form 210 (non-resident tax), My Mr Fixit (Gestor ) quoted €30......but thanks to A.com you can do it yourself in 10 mins........... :D

OK now what to do..........have a look at getting a quote from Gestor in Marbella ...... look in Pagina Amarilla (yellow pages )

Another option is to fly out and sort it yourself.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Hola

I know a friend's flat in Marbella had utilities in other peoples names - for arguments sake, to transfer the electric may well mean you need a new boletin - which could cost 500€ plus any work needed.

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:11 am

We got the estate agent to do ours. It was all part of the service that i negotiated.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Yup - our estate agent did it too ...... seemed quite natural for them to organise it as part of the deal and no special negotiation needed. We did need to follow up on the electric transfer but that was not complicated.