anyone taken an item back to IKEA and got their money back?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
olive
Andalucia Guru

anyone taken an item back to IKEA and got their money back?

Postby olive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:36 am

We bought a cooker (gas hob and electric 13A oven) from IKEA some months ago. We had it delivered to the local heating company for conversion to butano (not even included in the price despite it clearly being made to order). There is an issue with one of the burners not working and another puts soot deposits on the base of pans. Those issues probably aren't the fault of IKEA.

A far bigger issue is the prime reason for buying the cooker was the large electric oven that runs off a 13A socket. It would be expensive and messy to have a 16A supply wired in so that ruled out just about everything else. The performance of the oven is dismal. It takes ages to reach temperature as indicated by the thermostatic light going off. We are convinced the temp is low thereafter as things just don't cook properly. There is a fan that operates too that rattles the back of the cooker.

Despite not using it that much ( we have an all gas cooker elsewhere in the house) we have had it some time. circa a year

We don't want it fixing , ideally just getting our considerable money outlay back. Lost cause or a good chance? Anyone have any experience of IKEA refunds.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: anyone taken an item back to IKEA and got their money back?

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Olive,
We did take an item back to the Seville branch of Ikea awhile back, it was faulty, they didn't have the same item in stock so refunded in full and gave us a voucher for a free breakfast...
I doubt that they will consider refunding etc after 12 months, but worth a try..ask ....

It should tell you the terms of return on your receipt...

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Their website does say you can return good up to a year after buying. Perhaps you could email them first? When I refitted our kitchen there was a couple of issues with some items once we got it unpacked (too large to put in the car and take back) and I emailed them and they gave me a 100€ voucher as compensation.

scs3jb
Tourist

Postby scs3jb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 pm

I have had no problems returning items providing I have full evidence of purchase.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Result. We cleaned it thoroughly and packed it up and took it back today. Explained the shortcomings and they didn't bat an eyelid and offered a store credit. We stuck out for a refund in cash to our bank account so we can buy elsewhere. A bit of manager consultation and that was agreed. Well done IKEA.

Pretty pleased, very tired.

So now we have to go through the whole process again. A quick search shows the offering seems to have improved. How hard can a free standing 90 cm wide cooker be to find. Need a thermostat on oven, butano hob with burners that on low are low enough to simmer rather than boil to death. Anyone got or seen one on their travels?