Tax doesn't have to be taxing.... But that's not what I'm finding!

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tax doesn't have to be taxing.... But that's not what I'm finding!

Postby PavAmber » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi all

Currently doing my UK tax return for 2016-17 (yes I know I am cutting it fine). I didn't realise that I couldn't file online when resident outside UK.

We left the UK at the end of November 2016 so am filling in pages for "Residence, remittance basis etc." as we meet the criteria for split year treatment. I am getting totally confused and wound up as to what applies to me / doesn't. The basic tax return was fine.

Does anyone know of an individual/company that can help me with this part of a UK return? It should be simple given my only income was from 2 pensions.

Thanks in advance
Richard

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tax doesn't have to be taxing.... But that's not what I'm finding!

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Why dont you just ring them family member has just done the same form. After it was sent back for not being filled in.whether they have done it right this time who knows

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:16 pm

When do you have to get it in by! I thought that it was the end of December!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 am

patricia wrote:When do you have to get it in by! I thought that it was the end of December!

End of October for paper returns, end of January for online returns.

I would sit down with a friend and go through all the examples and help boxes available.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 am

I have ploughed my way through it and have at last finished it. Mine is a bit more complicated because I also have a Spanish pension as well as property in the UK.

Still finished it now. Just going to check it all.

First time I have ever had to fill one in. I suppose they are looking to rake in a few pounds here and there!

Thank you for your help. I was thinking it was the end of December so just as well I asked!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 am

Patricia,
As a Spanish tax resident, I don't need to include any earnings from Spain. My return here must include both.

First time I did one I spoke to someone in the tax office in Newcastle who went through it with me.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:47 am

Hello Mark,

Well when I spoke to them yesterday they said I had to print off a SA106 to show what I earn by way of a pension in Spain! :x

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

As a non-resident landlord I've always had to fill in a UK tax return even though we don't earn enough to pay any UK tax.

Pavamber did you get the instructions with your tax return on how to fill out the non-residents section? I have just had a look and it does look complicated! Any other help sheets you need to look at should all be online.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes but I had a letter informing me that I didnt have to until I heard from them again which I have - as you know! - :P :wink:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Well, just completed mine and it’s winging its way to the Uk.
I always get stressed in the weeks leading up to doing it just because of the daunting looking forms but actually doing it isn’t as bad.

The first year is the most difficult because non-resident status has to be set up so as not to be taxed at scorce as well as the obvious fact it’s being done for the first time but using copies from previous years makes it much easier to fill in by just inputing information, ticks and crosses in the same places.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 pm

I found it very stressful to be honest. It is the first time I have filled in a tax return since 2005 so the forms are vastly different. I hope to keep referring to notes and email people thank you very much, the know who they are :thumbup: I also spoke on the phone to the tax office. They were very helpful I have to say. It is finding all the receipts and bits of paper and if you leave it for a few days, you do practically start again :problem: Anyway as you say Mark it will be a lot easier next year! Hopefully :D . I am sure if I have filled it in wrong they will let me know :problem:

PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PavAmber » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Help!!

I am still finding it stressful despite conversations with HMRC. Any pointers gratefully received.

1. I have completed my basic return for 6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017 no problem (only income from 2 pensions - not annuities). My problem is with the residence and remittance pages. To explain:-

a) I moved to Spain permanently at the end of November 2016 so I will be considered UK resident by HMRC for the above tax year as circa 237 days in UK. I have no other ties to UK (house etc.).

b) I believe I will be deemed tax resident in Spain for 2017 as will have been here for the duration but will have already been taxed at source on my pension income by HMRC up until date.. I would obviously like to avoid being taxed twice! I will complete my Spanish tax return (I think) in March/April time?

c) HMRC mentioned providing them with a Certificate of Overseas Residence but I don't think I can obtain that until I have completed a Spanish return?

I feel I am missing something in detaching myself from the UK tax system so that I am not taxed on my income there. Fully appreciate I need to declare it here.

Many thanks

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Have you filled in the double taxation form from HMRC. If not get and fill that in. Basically you will keep being taxed at source on your uk income until you have filed your first spanish tax return which means at that point you will have paid double tax.But once you have filed your first spanish return you can then get the form showing you are a spanish tax payer. You send that to HMRC and they will then basically refund the tax you have paid (to a certain extent) and give you a NT ie no tax code and your pension will then be paid tax free.

PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PavAmber » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Elusive

Many thanks for your reply. That is of more use than the hour on the phone I had with HMRC who ended up saying "you need to call back and speak to one of our technicians"!!

I have completed a tax return and also the Residence, remittance basis sheets. i have also sent a P85 which is a "leaving the UK" for which apparently I didn't need. Is the form your referring to one of those, or do you mean an HS304? This one seems to be about DTA (double tax) but appears to need me to send a Certificate of Overseas Residence which I don't think I can do until I have done a Spanish return?

Thanks

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Its the DT individual form for double tax. Not sure if thats the same as the hs304.i havnt heard of that before.maybe a new name for it? its not any of the others you mentioned.I cant quite remember when we sent ours as it was a few years ago.possibly we had to ,as you say wait until we filed our first spanish tax return then send the double tax form with the spanish certificate. Im sure sid or one of the others will be able to confirm.

But basically you need to file your first tax return here first before they will give you the certificate to say you pay spanish tax which you can then send to HMRC for a refund and to get your pension paid tax free