Moving to Pruna

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Ange

Moving to Pruna

Postby Ange » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:53 pm

I am considering buying a property in Pruna with a view to moving out there permanently in a couple of years. However, I am not sure about the climate in the winter months regarding access as it is my intention to buy a property to start up a B&B. I may not necessarily choose Pruna as the place to be and any advice on other provinces in the region would be useful.

I will be flying out there next Thursday for a week to do a bit of research on properties, agents, etc and any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks. Ange

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:32 pm

Pruna, like most inland places up here, gets cold, sometimes v cold in the winter, occasional snow, but never impassable.
IMHO, Pruna is not an attractive place, nor a place I would ever want to visit or base myself as a tourist, sorry if you thought it otherwise.
There was an expat-run B&B there (maybe still is but think it's closed down or up for sale), but I heard not a great success, didn't last long.
It has a stupidly large expat population (mostly all on one v unattractive, rowdy street) for the size of the place, just because of the (originally) cheap property prices, though many live there for a short while and move on out...if they can!
Olvera is far more attractive (though terrible to drive & park in) and attracts far more visitors/tourists.
There are already quite a few expat run B&Bs in the area, many struggling, many up for sale (for a loooong time) and so I wouldn't expect to make a living from it, but ok as a hobby, if that's your thing.

Chrissie
Resident

Moving to Pruna

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:43 pm

I would agree with everything Hilly says. Olvera is certainly more attractive but there are other villages and towns in the area which are lovely. You really should try and see more before you decide. Certainly Olvera is a better proposition, but again there are starting to be lots of Brit run businesses, so perhaps too much competition.
Good luck, let us know how you get on :D
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Rosettastoned

Re: Moving to Pruna

Postby Rosettastoned » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:04 pm

The winter in Pruna can be cold, we live nearby and use a,wood burner, it heats the whole house, and we cook on the top it. The houses have thick thick walls and are well insulated. And in Pruna you get good sized courtyards and even workshops, gardens are not unknown, and at a much lower price than elsewhere. The ex pat population is mixed, some grumpy old drunken gossipers, some wonderfully entertaining and knowledgeable. The facilities for such a small village are excellent. When the original post for this thread was written was when I was looking at properties in the area, and Pruna then was a very different place, a place to be avoided, but since then the village has improved immeasurably in the ten years I have known it, it is us much more physically attractive and the small proportion of brits (less than 2%, a big reduction to ten years ago) do not make it less 'Spanish'. There is a blog for Pruna, go Google.
Last edited by Rosettastoned on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Wow,
I was only a 'lad' when 'Ange' added this thread, but good information Rosettastoned, and still very much applicable today...keep your info. coming :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 am

My sister had a house in Pruna for about 10 years and we all loved it. We did visit other lovely towns like Ronda, Antequera, Sentinel and the Scottish fiestas at Teba. Have also holidayed in Olvera. Unfortunately it was up a very steep hill in about 35degrees so very uncomfortable.
We loved Pruna best because it was more compact. Also if you need to go to Olvera it is only a few minutes and also to the Via Verde, just a few minutes.
We found the people of Pruna very friendly. and it is really fairly flat except for a couple of streets. You can buy most things you need cheaply in the village. My sister once bought a sofa and it was at her house before she returned. You can order anything from kitchens to bathrooms at the ferrateria. Also easy to load up with paint, cement etc without having to go down to Malaga.
Really miss it. She sold last year