catalan

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: catalan

Postby Lavanda » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Wow! Well written! I like that, Mark!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:48 pm

Regardless how silly everybody thinks this is, it should be a certain wake-up call for everybody that something like this can even be a thing. This country is so fragmented that people in various parts are completely dim about what is going on in other parts of the country.

Regardless how conservative PP is, their hardcore base is aging and dying and this country needs a more pragmatic right or center party to offset the lefties.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Flexo agreed that the Spanish need to get their heads around a long term improvement. At least it is better than it was 10 years ago and there are foundations of new parties.

While others, and very entitled they are to their opinions, are after blood I think "in the public interest" needs to have due consideration.
El raton de watford

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 pm

In the public interest? I bet there are many of the public on both sides fuming that he's run away to Brussels after all the frenzy and mayhem of the past weeks...He gets to run away along with some of his so called ministers ( and who knows..live off some of the embezzled money) while ordinary people are left with the mess ... In my opinion he is nothing but a coward.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 am

Agree, Pamela1. What on earth has all this been about? If Pudgemont really believed he had done everything in a legal and measured way then why did he run away? Many may say he was afraid of not getting a fair trial but ... really? Some old boy, here in the backwoods, said in a very dry way that it's a shame people like him are not just shot as would have been the case in Franco's time. I was speechless (for a change).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 pm

I have been away for a week. Quite shocked to find several bars in the village with “ ban Catalan products” . Real strength of feeling.

Some might view it with quite right too but the knock on effect wont be good for any of us. I wonder if the Italians will ship in Prosecco for Navidad

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 am

How sad to see the European Arrest Warrant being used for political purposes to chase after political fugitives. How much better it would be to have talks, negotiation and agreements. This won't go away, the Catalans have been after this for years.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:35 am

I am not sure what to think as read this wrong, i thought Mr Puigdemont would accept that it was not going happen, take the political hit and retire from politics. I do believe that if this had happened for the most part elected representatives could run for office though likely some exceptions.
It now seems because this not happen Rajoy and likely most of Spain want whatever is necessary to end this debate for what will happen in the forseeable future.
I have no idea as to how this will pan out as having an election with people waiting for trial will not in my opinion really a good option, this legal process Puigdemont will be fighting will take considerable time. It will be interesting.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 am

Marbella once had a mayor called Gil. He went to prison for corruption. He stood for reelection and was reelected WHILE STILL IN PRISON. Spain is an interesting place and there's no getting away from that.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Well said White Horse

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

just wonder who will talk to who? if anyone can suggest same.
The democratic of Catalan has failed, the boss done a runner.
All over just a matter of time...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 pm

I find it really difficult to understand why people think it's fine to be in contempt of court, to have an illegal referendum with all the negative consequences including hundreds of companies leaving the region, lie to its voters about the benefits without mentioning any of the drawbacks, then declare independence on the basis of the totally farcical referendum, where those who respected the rule of law didn't vote so as not to break the law..... and then after all that not suffer the consequences.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:29 am

Just Catalan politicians?

It seems to me that the key requisite for any politician is to lie and be corrupt and self serving. The same the world over. They are people who cannot get a real job.

Back to Catalunia. They must have had a game plan and options. Even at this late and apparently hopeless stage CP must have a plan that doesn't include spending 30 years in jail. Surely?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:05 am

markwilding wrote:I find it really difficult to understand why people think it's fine to be in contempt of court, to have an illegal referendum with all the negative consequences including hundreds of companies leaving the region, lie to its voters about the benefits without mentioning any of the drawbacks, then declare independence on the basis of the totally farcical referendum, where those who respected the rule of law didn't vote so as not to break the law..... and then after all that not suffer the consequences.
Totally agree with you Mark, it appears that many people have forgotten that the whole process was illegal from the start, I hope the perpetrators get jailed !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Absolutely.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:53 am

White horse your "90%" vote for independence is actually less than 40% of the Catalan electorate that is not a mandate by any stretch of the imagination, I suspect that if a legal election in this region were to take place the percentage would be even lower, this is not going anywhere.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 am

Just wonder if anyone can update on this as limited on El Pias.
Is any of the parties campaining on a separatist platform?
What position are the former separatist movement adapting?
Also how many of them are running in the election and what position are they adapting?
Sorry for all the questions but someone may know.
Many thanks

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:25 am

I just wonder if anyone can give an update on this topic.
I do know the extradition has being lifted, however i do not know what this means...

Many thanks....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:02 pm

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 pm

It means with a new PM who has shown a great deal of empathy towards his fellow Spaniards there is hope of a solution. It won't be easy but a door is opening.

It also shows Spain is way out of step with other important EU countries. But that at least is now obvious to all.

The Catalan politicians exiled in Europe will now ensure the divisions in Spain remain high up the agenda. But Sanchez may see opportunity from that.

Now it depends if Spain can be generous towards people who have a different opinion. It is time to forget the craxy past and move on. Time to be practical and not be tied to history that is no longer relevant. To drag Spain, kicking and screaming if necessary, into the 21st Century. Can Sanchez deliver that? I just get a feeling with the PP greatly weakened, that he has the best opportunity ever.

Even I'm slightly optimistic. Sadly too late to help many in my spanish family (and they are not anywhere near the bottom of the pile), but some hope for future generations.
Last edited by flyeogh on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El raton de watford