Rusty marks on patio tiles...

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
rafiki
Resident

Rusty marks on patio tiles...

Postby rafiki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am

We have some rusty marks on some patio tiles left by a cast-iron umbrella base. Is there a way to clean off these marks? The tiles are matt not glossy.
Brian.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rusty marks on patio tiles...

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 am

Brian,
Have you tried Agua -Fuerte ?

It might take several applications and better applied neat and left for 30 minutes, and be careful of the fumes !

Regards,
Gordon

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 pm

forgive my ignorance on this... do you a apply with a cloth? brush? and what do you do after 30mins? mop clean?

micknjane
Tourist

Postby micknjane » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi, Sorry to barge in on this - but am having the near identical problem, But what kind of shops stock this agua-fuerte? I mean is it available in most supermarkets?
thanks

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:04 am

I would say all supermarkets, certainly Mucky Donna, that is where I get mine for the pool, sorry Beach.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:54 am

Useful though aguafuerte is (also sold as Sulfomat) test its action on a hidden place - it is an acid, and can completely dissolve some things, like terracotta losas! It is so useful I christened it ‘dead granny reviver’.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 am

Flashman,
Sorry , just noticed your post.
First, it is available in most shops selling cleaning materials, there are several brand names,but mostly it is labelled Aguaferte., and it is usually only around one euro for a bottle.
It is very effective, but must be used with care, best to wear gloves and make sure that you use it in well ventilated areas.
I have used it for many years with success and no problems.
It comes in a squirt bottle, so spray it on the stain , at arms length, and better as suggested to try it on a 'test area' first.
It will start acting immediately, frothing, I normally only leave it for 10 minutes then wash it away with plenty of clean water, don't add other cleaning products to the clean water, they could react.
If the stain is still there apply again and leave a little longer, the 'washed away' Aguaferte will also help to keep your drains clear, and the smell will soon disappear.
Keep the bottle stored away from other cleaning materials, in case you use it by mistake and make sure the lid is on correctly and the bottle is upright.
I can't think of anything else to add, but please feel free to ask if you need any other advice...
Happy Stain Removing,
Regards,
Gordon-Odd Job Man... :D

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:51 pm

:wink: thanks Odd-Job. i'll add that to my list of tasks for the next trip

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Regural vinegar will remove rust so i expect that if you saturate an old towel and leave on top over night or longer as it may be necessary.
I have used vinegar on car parts + nuts and bolts but things have always being immersed.