blue passport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

blue passport

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:11 pm

It looks like we are going to have blue passports in the near future again. There’s been a lot of talk in the media about them but I’m pretty certain my last one I had before the the burgundy one was actually black.
I’m not really sure why the colour is so important but some people have been getting really excited about the prospect of the new one.
I’ve read some really inane comments, best though has to be the guy who thinks that the next thing that should be change is a return to the imperial system no matter that anybody younger than about 50 won’t know what that is.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free at Last
Resident

Re: blue passport

Postby Free at Last » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:20 pm

As far as I can see the only difference in reality will be that as UK nationals we are likely to have to queue for longer at airports (in the non-EU queue) and possibly have to pay a fee for an online visa waiver to visit an EU country - and that will be the case whether we have a new blue passport or are still using a burgundy one until it expires. I think it¡s hilarious that it has only just been pointed out that the UK did not have to change the colour of the passport at all due to EU rules, and some other EU countries do still have passports of different colours. Yet another case of the EU being blamed for decisions actually taken by the UK Government.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:45 pm

If we have to pay an online visa fee it will be tit for tat and EU visitors will have to do the same entering uk.. Already have to queue for longer as in Madrid we had to line up with visitors from USA etc.

Nice to see the Guardian snowflakes having to back down spreading fake news about the cost.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:03 pm

They will apparently have the most secure technology of any current passport embedded in them. That would be a good thing .

Mark. Try and keep up at the back. The vast majority of the world still ises imperial measurements on a daily basis. Just two examples are vehicle rim diameters and widths plus diameter of piping. Here in Spain the pipes are mostly sold in pulgadas.

Your UK friends might be railing at the almost overnight proliferation of road markers in km showing how far you are from the start of the highway you are on despite the UK as far as I can remember using miles on both cars and roads. I dont know who decided to do that or why before anyone asks .

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:53 pm

Well I hope I don't have to pay again, I v'e recently obtained a new red one which cost me nearly 90 quid !!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Agreed. What is-so special about ten years? Change your hair style/ colour, grow a beard and wear coloured contact lenses and a month after renewal you look different It costs a fortune to renew as an expat. High time we were all micro chipped at birth. :lol:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:19 pm

olive wrote: High time we were all micro chipped at birth. :lol:
Just so long as the microchips for UK citizens are a different colour from those for EU citizens, or there will be hell to pay. :lol:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:16 am

olive wrote:.... The vast majority of the world still ises imperial measurements on a daily basis. Just two examples are vehicle rim diameters and widths plus diameter of piping.. .
Fabrics & carpets come with width measured in imperial, but sold by the length in metric :roll:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:28 am

Facts:
- the current burgundy UK passport already contains a myriad of the latest security devices, ongoingly updated
- there is virtually global use of metric units for scientific, engineering, technical and sales matters; only the USA insists in working otherwise, causing untold complications
- a recent quick poll by Simon Calder showed that more than 50% said the colour of the UK passport was of no importance
- many folk are much happier discussing things that don't matter, or are irrelevant, rather than important issues

The Mail and the Express are delighted to see this last continue. They, and their readers, cannot lecture the Guardian on anything to do with journalism.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:16 am

olive wrote:
Mark. Try and keep up at the back. The vast majority of the world still ises imperial measurements on a daily basis. Just two examples are vehicle rim diameters and widths plus diameter of piping. Here in Spain the pipes are mostly sold in pulgadas.

I though no way! until I realised we are thinking about two different things. I didn’t mean the imperial measurement system. Of course, the imperial system is still used and most people under Fifty in the UK whould have come across it in one form or another.
The guy i read about had spoken about pound, shillings and pence. He wanted the old money system to come back.

Reports that it costing millions was wide of the mark as it shouldn’t cost anything extra but the fact it will one of the most secure has nothing to do with the UK leaving the EU as It will conform to international standards and would have been upgraded anyway.
Of Course It’s always been a British/UK passport and comparing it with a Spanish one, although the colour is very similat (it’s not exactly the same), the emblems on the front are completely different.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:38 am

Manchesteral wrote:Well I hope I don't have to pay again, I v'e recently obtained a new red one which cost me nearly 90 quid !!

When I renew mine in the new year it will cost over 100 pounds (including P&P)! I presume that they will stay valid until they expire but I really don't think the colour of the cover is at all relevant.

I can't see why they would introduce a visa for travel to Europe. They weren't needed before we were in the EU so why now? I can remember going to France for a day in the early 1970s on a temporary passport (I guess I must have bought it from the local post office) as I didn't get a full passport until some years later in the 1980s.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:08 am

Just for a change, we have been subject to fake news. Usual pro/anti Brexit puppeteering.

If anyone can be bothered, more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42468938

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Wicksey wrote:
I can't see why they would introduce a visa for travel to Europe. They weren't needed before we were in the EU so why now?
You will not need a full visa but you may be required to register on the new ETIAS system.

Lots of info here

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 79876.html

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 pm

olive wrote:Just for a change, we have been subject to fake news. Usual pro/anti Brexit puppeteering.

If anyone can be bothered, more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42468938
That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the snowflakes from the Guardian on Twitter. It was funny.

True there is no obligation to have the colour but no country has broken the recommendation. The chinless wonders at the Home office would have happily signed up for the change to red.

Photos of all 28

https://www.quora.com/Do-all-countries- ... this-serve

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Well they have changed it, haven't they? It was the supposedly, true blue Thatcher who changed it to burgundy.

This has been nothing more than a political stunt to appease the inward backward looking Brexiteers. Farage has been doing his
taking his passport out his pocket trick for years. I have no problem with the change of colour, it's the typical political furore that gets my goat

I've never had an EU passport because it doesn't exist.

BTW, Croatia's is blue.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:57 pm

True Mark, just Tokenism to keep the 17.5 million plebs quiet. I would have preferred them to leave the passport for a while and not bung Brussels 39 billion...or more. We don't always get what we wish for and a change of colour is easy.

BTW the link explains that Croatia is still blue because they are new.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm

olive wrote:Agreed. What is-so special about ten years? Change your hair style/ colour, grow a beard and wear coloured contact lenses and a month after renewal you look different It costs a fortune to renew as an expat. High time we were all micro chipped at birth. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Wicksey wrote:
Manchesteral wrote:Well I hope I don't have to pay again, I v'e recently obtained a new red one which cost me nearly 90 quid !!

When I renew mine in the new year it will cost over 100 pounds (including P&P)! I presume that they will stay valid until they expire but I really don't think the colour of the cover is at all relevant.

I can't see why they would introduce a visa for travel to Europe. They weren't needed before we were in the EU so why now? I can remember going to France for a day in the early 1970s on a temporary passport (I guess I must have bought it from the local post office) as I didn't get a full passport until some years later in the 1980s.
I have just paid over a 100 pounds to renew mine.

I prefer blue to be honest and if we had a choice I would go for that. It doesnt really make any difference in reality, but I do prefer blue to Burgundy. Just saying............! :wink:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:01 am

You can get covers for your passport - they must do one in blue, surely ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 am

And you have to remove the passport from its cover every time you produce it