I Really Must Make More Effort !!!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: I Really Must Make More Effort !!!

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm

We went to Extremadura in the spring when all the meadows were full of flowers. It was a lovely trip and the local wine is excellent too. Little known (although I see that Aldi has it now in large 2L containers .... it's better than it looks!) the owners of the accommodation we rented said much of it is exported.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Extremadura is lovely and unspoiled, so far. However, do not even think of coming in July and August. It's simply too hot.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am

Fincalospinos,
Thank you for your input, a very clear and helpful report... :thumbup:

And I've been looking through some old photos and realise that my previous visit to the Alhambra was in the mid sixties, not seventies as previously mentioned, doesn't time fly !

As for other destinations, well, I've been many times to Extremadura, a really historic and interesting region.
But there are also many, many locations in Andalucia that I've not visited, so I'm trying to make a list and I would appreciate any information on some of the more smaller and obscure places of interest.

I mentioned 'Federico Garcia Lorca' earlier, no response so I must assume that everyone has already been or are not interested, if the latter then that is a shame because I believe it to be a very worthy visit and it really does give a close up insight into the more recent troubled Spanish history.
Regards,
Gordon the Explorer..... :wave:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 am

Hi Gordon

I was waiting for someone esle to ask. In their absence , please could we have your Lorca visit resume? I always think that individuals thoughts are better than more official guides. You can for example say food at this place was good, don't use xx as the toilets are not good. Parking is best at this park. On route try the "cafe on lake Negratin" and so on.

My hit list of places to visit this year include Italica, Francos tomb (before it gets closed for good possibly), Segovia and Avila. I also want to visit the gilded church in Granada (name escapes me at moment)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Gordon
Been away for a few days so couldn't comment on your "Lorca" offer.
I'd like to see your write up and learn a bit more about Lorca.
My only knowledge of Lorca, so far, was of being involved in a production of his play "Blood Wedding" and staying in the hotel in Granada where he spent his last night before being taken away by Franco's troops and executed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Dito please do gordon. For those who know nerja theres a house on calle carabeo that is owned by i presume long distant relatives of lorca (now live in america) think i read that it was his summer house.whether thats correct i dont know. It was/is rented out to holiday makers.
Last edited by elusive on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Yes please, info on your Lorca trip would be interesting to us all, I think. We even have a statue in our local town in Huelva Province to the great writer and poet, just round the corner from the street that is still named for el Generalisimo !!!!
A note for Italica - well worth the visit but there is very LITTLE shade so chose a cool day if you can - also it is free to EU citizens, so take your passport ....
Beni - have you been to the three ships replicas of Columbus' ships that made the first trip to the Carribean - very interesting little museum attached, though all in spanish last time we were there, and to clamber about on the real size ships makes you wonder how they got there at all, and then to come back again! If you have kids in tow, even better!! Between the la Rabida monastery at Palos, and where the Rio Tinto comes out at Huelva capital.
Also a day trip to the Rio Tinto mining museum and the old workings is excellent - good restaurants for lunch in the small town of Minas de Rio Tinto. Rattly old train trip is one not to be forgotten too!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:52 am

Good Morning Folks.... :wave:

Sorry about my slow response...... :oops:
I will start a new topic about our Federico Garcia Lorca visit A.S.A.P, thank you for your interest..

And I've added the other 'day out' suggestions to our list and this year I'm really determined to visit somewhere in Andalucia at least once a week...so much to see....

Have a Good Day Everyone,
Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:39 am

Gordon

Look forward to Lorca and any other of your weekly visits.

Talking of back yard visits, have you done Loja to Sierra de Loja? You can get round to Salar one way and the other takes you to Zafaraya ( need a 4x4). Plenty to see apart from the staggering views. Blue thrushes, choughs, raptors, Hispanic Cabra, the shepherd moving ten thousand sheep with a dog and a moped, field of little owls on every rock.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Olive,
Thank you , the route you mention is one that I've only ventured on once, probably 10 years ago with a Spanish neighbour, and I must 'do it' again.!
As for my 'report'on Lorca, well I've found it quite difficult to write about, quite deep and thought provoking, however it is almost complete and hopefully I will post it tomorrow and I hope that it is worth the wait.... :oops:
I will try to write reports on our visits to the various places we visit, and I also urge other members to let us know about places they visit and interesting things that are happening in their lives..
Regards,
Gordon