Pine Processionary

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pine Processionary

Postby Ricasso » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 am

We have 17 Pine trees on our land. We’re fully aware of the Pine Processionary and it’s dangers - we have 2 dogs. As a result, we’ve been obsessively on the look-out for nests. Sadly we came across quite a few small nests in some of our trees so bought a really long extendable pair of loppers and carefully cut them down and against much advice, burnt them. We and our dogs have survived - so far.

We've read about other people's experiences that the 'hairs' and equally dangerous 'dust' that can hang around and impose a serious threat on the ground, in the trees etc.

My question is, does anyone know how long the hairs/dust remain dangerous after they leave the caterpillar? As they shed their skin so many times, I'm guessing there's a lot of dangerous skin/dust/hairs around. There must be a point where this is no longer dangerous to the touch if you inadvertently come across it on your land. Does anyone know any facts about this?

Another thing. Are there any obvious signs where the caterpillars bury themselves to pupate? Thinking along the lines of destroying them before the whole cycle starts again...

If you have any idea regarding the above, I'd be most grateful. I have obviously googled for answers but can't seem to find an answer to my specific questions.

Thanks in advance..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Pine Processionary

Postby suzyq » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am

I noticed that the procession caterpillars are on the ground already in the colinas del Faro. Seems earlier every year and the previous years eradication programme by Mijas has lapsed this season. Dog walkers beware .

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 am

Keep chopping off the nests and burning them - that seems to be an accepted way of dealing with the pests and diminishing the population over time. As to dust and residual hairs on the floor - I have not heard of this being a problem. Definitely if a dog gets too close, or even bites a live one, that can be a serious problem. Dont know about the pupating bit - sorry - perhaps someone else more knowledgeable will com along ...

Local authorities and farmers do normally spray their pines at certain times of the year with a pesticide - if you have so many trees, you may want to take up this method - again, dont know the exact product or timing for the spraying ...

Should a pet become affected, dont hesitate to go off to the vet ASAP !! The swelling of tongue and or other mucus membranes can be very rapid and life threatening.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Ricasso,
A Viveros close to Competa sells an insecticide treatment that I have used successfully on a massive pine on our dog walk. The system injects the insecticide into the tree and it spreads throughout the tree without harming it.
I have now done the offending tree twice missing a year each time and we have had no caterpillars. I need to do it again this year, now really, but cannot afford it.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Our tree man comes every october to spray the trees over hanging our front entrance. Its alot of trees but could you get at least some of them cut down. Even though they are protected depending on the type they can be cut down with permission

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 am

We think we've disposed of all the nests and managed to trim the trees (apart from one massive one, fortunately nest-free), to a more manageable size.

I have heard something about this 'injectable' insecticide - I'm guessing it's costly. It might be worth considering though. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Chopping the whole trees down (subject to permission, of course), is a last resort - I love them, but if it stops this dangerous pests and protects us, it is something we'd consider.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Ricasso,
Axarquía