Removal of furniture from fourth floor apartment

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Removal of furniture from fourth floor apartment

Postby elizabennett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Our apartment is on the fourth floor. When we bought it six years ago, the previous owners had left all the furniture. We are gradually replacing items. We have two sofas in the living room. They won't fit though the hall door. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how they can be safely taken out via the balcony? We don't want to smash them up, as they are good quality.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Removal of furniture from fourth floor apartment

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:58 pm

How did they get them in I wonder? It's not very common to hoist furniture up to the fourth floor from the outside. They may come apart for moving. We recently dismantled a huge bed settee by taking the arms off so we could extract it from our house.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I have seen all sorts of large items being put into flats in Loja by a mobile lift. Clever bit of kit presumably owned by the local dept store or rented for the occasion. they look like a giant fire ladder and the platform moves up the frame. Might be worth asking at the local dept store.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm

I have seen the furniture removal companies in Malaga using and a lifting platform many times. They load it on the ground and send it up to the relevant floor. They go up to about 7 floors. May be an expensive way to remove two old sofas.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 pm

olive wrote:I have seen all sorts of large items being put into flats in Loja by a mobile lift. Clever bit of kit presumably owned by the local dept store or rented for the occasion. they look like a giant fire ladder and the platform moves up the frame. Might be worth asking at the local dept store.
Here you go . . . . . You'll never beat the Irish Elizabeth :wave:

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
@ Wicksey, to answer your question: the building was constructed in 1973, and the previous owners had been there since 1978. I'm assuming they used an elevator like the ones described in subsequent posts. There is no way of taking these sofas apart: they were manufactured in the pre-self-assembly days.
@ scotty, thanks for the photo! Let's hope we win the Grand Slam this year :)!