Ryanair luggage change

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair luggage change

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

We just did a week, like costakid return Murcia/Leeds Saturday to Saturday was €36 each, one 20kg case €50 return, and car parking 25m from the ‘Llegadas’ entrance was €32.20.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 pm

The only thing that can be guaranteed be constant is "that things will constantly change"
Its really a game...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Yep, my December trip brum to Malaga was £33 return. Train fare Northampton brum was £26 return. Taxi to and from station, £15.

What’s not to like!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm

They seem to be working to rule. Newcastle to malaga today only half full flight but we had to put hand luggage in hold. Only had to wait 5 minutes thought for luggage. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay for priority boarding. No chance.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Travelled from Jerez to Stansted this morning. Ticket included seat and Priority boarding for the first time ever but only because when I booked I couldn't see how to just book the Priority bit.

Anyway, Jerez seemed to have organised themselves a bit better in that we all went through customs early into the "pen" area and those without priority were sent to next waiting (actual boarding area) to stand and have bags tagged while those with priority were able to continue sitting in relative comfort till we actually boarded, at which time we were sent outside ahead of the non priority people.

At Stansted, the bags came through very quickly which I was able to note because I had friends travelling non priority with me who had a bag in the hold.

So, as far as low season travel Jerez/Stansted goes, it seems there is little additional hassle whether one chooses to pay a bit extra for priority or not.

I will post again when I return next week how the return trip works out.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

This is what Ryanair are saying as of today, It seems that priority will be the new norm. It looks like its heading the way that overhead baggage space will only be available to people prepared to pay in the future 110 seats x 2 bags each = 220 bags, there not be much space left for my luggage.
I have noticed a big shift towards priority on both Ryanair and Easyjet in about the last year or so, i am guessing this was well thought out before the introduction of the second bag free a couple of years. I have to say though it will inconvenience me it is very clever strategy...
January 16 2018 2:30 AM

Ryanair expects more than half of passengers to pay an extra €5 to bring their bag into the cabin.

As it introduced new cabin baggage rules, which favour those passengers who pay an extra €5 for 'priority boarding', the airline revealed that it will sell the perk for a maximum of 110 seats out of the total of 189 available on its planes.

This means that the majority of passengers could end up paying for so-called 'priority' boarding.

When the latter was introduced in 2006 at a cost of €3, Ryanair claimed that it would result in a better service for those passengers who want to be among the first to board flights.

But with almost 60pc of passengers now able to claim 'priority' boarding, it is no longer guaranteed that you will be among the first passengers on a flight.

A spokesman for the Consumers' Association said Ryanair would have strategised on the policy change and would be confident of selling the 110 priority boarding tickets.

"I get the impression they've looked at these figures and are fairly confident in the take-up.

"The difficulty is that it's now taking away a low-cost element of enjoying the flight. If you want it to be a smooth journey and get on and off quickly, you now have to pay for that," he added.

Until now, all Ryanair passengers were allowed to bring two bags into the cabin - a wheelie bag and a smaller bag.

Under the new rules, 'non-priority customers' - those who haven't paid the €5 extra charge - will only be able to bring the smaller bag into the cabin and their bigger bag will be taken off them at the boarding gate and put into the hold.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 am

swerve wrote: It will be a cold day in hell before I pay for priority boarding. No chance.
Trouble is that my carry on luggage isn't very secure, not like a bigger hold case that we have that has various locks and is solidly built. As we only ever have a small carry case everything of value is in there like our satnav and presents for friends etc and I don't want to try to lug all that on board in a little bag. The priority booking fee was 6€ pp each way and as I said, the total cost for the flight is still very cheap so for ease, I am paying it. We have to go to London airports which always seem very busy so I would rather have my luggage with me for a quick getaway to the car hire office :lol: .

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am

I just came across this and people here likely be interested...

Ryanair seating policy under spotlight again as UK authorities investigate
British authorities examine if Ryanair deliberately splitting up groups

Ryanair’s seating policy for people who chose not to pay for allocated seats is likely to come under the spotlight again in the weeks ahead after the Civil Aviation Authority in the UK announced plans to review airlines’ policies to see if some are deliberately splitting travelling companions up.

Last summer The Times started documenting the experiences of some Ryanair passengers who complained about being seated apart from friends and family if they declined to pay for allocated seating.

People who contacted this newspaper said that - unlike previous occasions when they had flown with the airline - if they did not pay for allocated seating they were being routinely separated from travelling companions even on flights on which many free seats were available.

Affected passengers suggested that the reason why the airline had suddenly started splitting up travelling companions was to encourage more people to pay for pre-booked seats in order to ensure they were able to sit together.

The airline flatly denied it had changed the way it allocated its seats, but the story grew wings and a handful of complaints turned into thousands with people across Europe saying their travelling parties had also been split up regardless of when they checked in and how many seats were available on their aircraft.

Now the British Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is to carry out a review into airlines’ seating policies, including whether some operators are deliberating splitting up groups of passengers travelling together.

“We will be looking into how airlines decide where to seat passengers that have booked as part of a group and whether any airlines are pro-actively splitting up groups of passengers when, in fact, they could be sat together,” said CAA Chief Executive Andrew Haines.

“We will not hesitate to take any necessary enforcement action should it be required at the end of the review.”

The aviation authority in the UK has long had a fractious relationship with Ryanair and the review could open up a fresh dispute between the two.

As it announced details of the review, a survey of passengers from 10 airlines conducted by pollster YouGov indicated that people who fly with Ryanair are most likely to report being separated from their group when not paying more to sit together.

Ryanair said it was happy to participate with the review. “Our policy is very clear for our customers and seats can be purchased from just 2 euros and kids travelling in families get free seats,” said a spokeswoman.

Rival easyJet also also said it would cooperate with the review and took the opportunity to have a dig at Ryanair.

“Unlike some airlines, if passengers choose not to pay to select their seats, easyjet’s seating system is programmed to try and seat families together when they check-in online by using an algorithm,” the airline said in a statement.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Absolute nonsense. The seating allocation really couldn't be made clearer by Ryanair. Unfortunately no one reads the Terms and Conditions. Easyjet say they have an algorithm which keeps groups together if they're booked together but they don't. Surely for three hours it's not that important, but if it is, book a seat.

I feel the CAA have better things they could be looking at!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh for gods sake, buy a bl*ody seat if it so damned important. Ryanair's policy is clear: if you don’t buy a seat it is likely you will not sit together. Either cough up or ditch the airline and go some other way.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Absolutely Ashtondav. The base fares are so low, they have to make some money somewhere and I for one am happy with the way things are. I prefer to have my bag with me so am now buying Priority Boarding, its worth the extra as I now don't need to stress about whether I board in the first 90 people in order to get my bag in with me and can amble to the gate at my leisure.

Basically if you don't like Ryanair, fly with someone else.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:58 pm

I've just booked a return flight with Ryanair for early March. Priority both ways so I can take my luggage with me and a seat for the outbound only as it's daylight so I like a window. On the return it's dark so I don't care where I sit. Total fare 46 euro. Says it all really!

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 pm

As far as I know Ryanair allow so many priority barding places, so I assume they have calculated that if all these 100 or so people took on board their maximum allowance then there would be room in all the overhead lockers for all their items, the non priority will just have to take a chance.

Don't know about EasyJets booking system.

terry

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Ryanair only now accept 90 Priority bookings per flight.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Ryanair wrote:
January 16 2018 2:30 AM

Ryanair expects more than half of passengers to pay an extra €5 to bring their bag into the cabin.

As it introduced new cabin baggage rules, which favour those passengers who pay an extra €5 for 'priority boarding', the airline revealed that it will sell the perk for a maximum of 110 seats out of the total of 189 available on its planes.
This is what Ryanair said in a press release last Month.... it may be that they have changed this...

How do i add shading to "quote"?

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Yes they have changed. Your press release is more up to date than mine. Still, at least they are addressing one of their main self loading freight issues!