advise

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wollie
Resident

advise

Postby wollie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm

I have a friend who has had an incidident in Lanzarote a couple of weeks ago. this person stayed with me in Spain for last week and just left today.
The problem is that this person got injured to the extent a hospital visit and now today to see Doctor in UK. the individual works in the medical area and says they will need to have an MRI scan (whatever that is) but it sounds serious. They will now be off work for the immediate future and it is a wait and see situation.
There seems to have being a serious negligence on the part of the prople who supplied the acomodation as the person has used the same place over the years. I am referring to the lack of lighting and other stuff which is more complicated (lack of care) as the person seems to have got injured by the staff when they were helped up after said fall. I saw pictures of the facial injuries and they were very bad, also this person stayed with me for last week and has considerable back pain and did not leave house.
I will add that when this incident did happen this person had consumed some alcohol but was fully aware of what was happening and tripped on a ledge/step, neither myself or this person is type who go for litigation but if there are long term injuries and cost attached to same it be unfair for this person it there is other option, This person did not have holiday insurance and the medical stuff was done with Europe Health Card. This was a full board type holiday but the flights were booked seperately.
Should this person ask the provider with CCTV of the incident? do they have any options in this as it very difficult situation?

Any advise appriciated.
many thanks.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: advise

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:48 pm

A MRI, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, scan shows up any problems in the bones and the soft tissue, muscles etc. An X Ray isn't so good at showing soft tissue damage.
I have had X rays, as they are relatively cheap, that haven't shown a problem then I have had a follow up MRI scan on the affected area which has immediately and clearly shown the problem.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 pm

MRI scan is safe, CT scan is harmful.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:07 pm

There insurance would almost certainly be void if they had consumed alcohol. Its a great get out for insurers. If they have disc damage an MRI will show it immediately. It is then a case of time to heal. A full body MRI in the uk is about £900 , maybe cheaper here in Spain.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 pm

very difficult to be sympathetic to anyone not having travel insurance, though probably would not cover this sort of accident.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 am

Best Advice, we are not professionals here, probably best to get lawyered up !

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for advise, personally i am not a big fan of laywers.
I know the alcohol thing is a problem but it is a difficult situation for this person.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 pm

So is he wanting to sue the accommodation owners? CCTV can work against you too. He will need to go to those Where there is blame there's a claim Lawyers. They only take about 35% of your winnings!

BTW I have just been paid promptly for an insurance claim for a Doctor visit in Antigua. Was costly as Doctor travelled from Capital town, $50 extra as public holiday plus injections and medication. Total cost $390. Aside from the £50 excess AVIVA paid everything even the currency charge on my credit card. Very impressed. They did require a lot of info'. Confirmation of flight/hotel etc. Names of others travelling with me, Doctors receipt and a form to sign allowing them to access medical records.Credit card statement. Applied online and the money was in my bank following week.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Very difficult situation but to go on holiday without insurance is a risk. However, as costakid and peteroldracer have already written the insurance would probably not cover this incident. If the person who has been injured has used the same accommodation 'for years' — yet the place had hazards such as bad lighting — there may be some complicity on behalf of the injured person. There were staff to help after the incident. 'Staff' indicates that the accommodation may be a hotel, for example. They should have public liability insurance. I think manchesteral has a point. We are not experts. Maybe some initial advice should be sought from those people who know about such things; maybe a lawyer and/or maybe a travel advice expert. In any event, I wish a good recovery for your friend.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:42 pm

Flexo wrote:MRI scan is safe, CT scan is harmful.
I've had two M R I scans, not dangerous, unless someone walks in the scanning room with an oxygen cylinder as happened a few days ago !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm

CT scans are only harmful in the sense that you get a very large dose of X-Rays, equivalent to about 300 normal X-Rays. I think the same applies to Angiograms.

You are unlikely to have many CT scans in your lifetime so probably not a problem. However, it has been suggested that having regular annual scans (obviously privately) which some companies will be happy to sell you (if you can afford it!) could be harmful.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 pm

In the past 10 years I must have had 20+ CT scans, & 10+ MRIs , but as they were checking for tumours, I guess they were the lesser of two evils... :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Man sucked in by MRI while visiting relation has died

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

No, when you get a CT scan you receive a harmful level of radiation which is enough to cause cancer. There is no amount of CT scans that are considered safe, it is just the lesser of two evils if you have an emergency. Therefore you do MRIs instead of CT scans if there is no emergency.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 am

Flexo wrote: Therefore you do MRIs instead of CT scans if there is no emergency.
Well it felt like an emergency when i cracked a disc in my back. MRI picked it up.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am

Thankfully things are not as serious as first feared as she went to doctor and had xray and there was no mention or MRI when we spoke.
The back damaged the medical people said was likely caused by the people handling of a confused person after the fall.
I was worried that this incident may have life changing injuries which is why i posted here.
It was a girls night and the other two live there, where the incident happened as it was full accomodation but the are different areas and her friends
had left her at the entrance.
I was just thinking if there was legal action for everyone that took a tumble on the costa lawyers be busy.

Many thanks...

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:51 pm

costakid wrote: Well it felt like an emergency when i cracked a disc in my back. MRI picked it up.
Don't know exactly when it is preferable to do CT scans, think it is brain injuries or such, if there is a choice I think MRIs are preferable any time.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Ha! Ha! Flexo, we have great hospitals here but I know from experience that, in an emergency, the medics make the decisions and do not consult. When I complained about some treatment my OH got a few years ago they just shouted back at me, "What do you expect? We were busy trying to save his life?" After that my quibbles seemed a bit silly.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:47 pm

I think that which scan is used will depend on the level of detail required - MRIs give much greater detail, but are more expensive. For me it is a chest/abdomen/thorax CT scan, but an MRI for the brain.
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Lavanda wrote:Ha! Ha! Flexo, we have great hospitals here but I know from experience that, in an emergency, the medics make the decisions and do not consult. When I complained about some treatment my OH got a few years ago they just shouted back at me, "What do you expect? We were busy trying to save his life?" After that my quibbles seemed a bit silly.
I don't understand your point. Just because they do something at a hospital doesn't mean it is safe. Cancer does not operate like a flu, just because you don't have symptoms of cancer does not mean you are not developing it, in fact almost all adults do but it happens so slowly that many of us will die from other causes. But eventually one cancer cell will go rampage and therefore it is preferable not to expose yourself unless absolutely necessary. CT scans are not operated by paramedics, it is handled by trained medical doctors who understand the risks but it is not something they will let you do just because you believe you need one.