Barbeques on Terraces

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
tina1990

Barbeques on Terraces

Postby tina1990 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello all,

Not sure if this has been asked before. My partner and I own our apartment in Benalmadena. As of the last couple of weeks, the Community has decided as a blanket rule that there is to be no use of Barbeques on any terraces. There was no vote taken on this or any meetings involving us to discuss out views on the issue. We have a Gas BBQ which we love to use, especially in summer, and don't feel it is fair to be told what we can and cannot do on our own property, especially as we arenot renting.

Does anyone know if they have any right to restrict what owners can do on their own property?

Thanks,
Tina!

jaycey001

Re: Barbeques on Terraces

Postby jaycey001 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

I would assume a gas BBQ is fine and that they were more concerned about having hot coals falling off terraces/causing fires.

If they are against gas BBQs then I personally would buy a small oven/cooker to use outside... just to prove a point :)
Another option I suppose are those George foreman type electric grills.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm

I think they are banned and for good reason. The people above me had a BBQ on their terrace and they were fanning the fire. There were sparks going all over the place and that is how I saw it as sparks were falling down into my terrace and I have an awning which could have caught fire. I felt lucky that I was here to ask them to put the BBQ out. I also have cushions on chairs which could easily have caught fire.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm

I think when you live in a community they can to a certain extent dictate what you can do. Its the same as everyone has to have the same colour blinds etc.
I think a gas BBQ is ok as long as you are not smoking the neighbours out. Ask your president.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm

That is also another problem. Had people renting the flat underneath who were from across the water and they were BBQing the half side of some animal at 3am in the morning. The smell was horrendous, smoke everywhere :evil:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 pm

The "can and can't" regulations of a Community exist either in the original Statutes or additional Internal Rules. In either case, in order to amend the regulations, owners must vote for the amendment at an AGM/EGM. If in the Statutes, the vote must be unanimous, or a simple majority if an Internal Rule. The President cannot decide this matter on his own, it is for the whole Community to decide.

Parilla

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am

It is possible that someone deemed this as a "health and safety risk" someone may have made a made a complaint to community.
Just send an email to whoever manages the community asking why this change? you need to be informed as to why the rules of your property have changed.