easyjet

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wollie
Resident

easyjet

Postby wollie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

I had what i can only describe as a difficult experience on a flight from Malaga on Wednesday and just wonder if anyone has had similar.
I had not booked priority as it not really important where i sit as long as i am on the plane, my seat was second last row which is fine.
When we lined up i was towards the front as i wanted to have my bag as there was an item in which was delicate so i wanted to keep overhead.
Easyjet proceeded with priority and then up to about row 10 in one line, then a different line for the rest of the plane on ramp leading down.
We were all transferred to the bus to and moved to the back stairway, this is where it all started to go wrong.
We were left standing in the bus while all of the passengers filed in and took their seats, it was pretty sunny and about 1pm and with the bus being entirely of glass windows it was extremely hot and a few people were overcome with heat and lack of air with over 120 persons on this bus.
There are 3 doors either side on this bus, when we got on the bus all doors were open so we boarded this bus.
When we were transferring from bus to plane 20/30 paces only the centre door was open with two security guys managing the speed people exited so as there not a clamor of people at the bottom of airline stairway. It really was a total mess.
Then when we eventually got on the plane there was no baggage space at the back as it appears some of the people at the front had taken up of the offer of free hold luggage, my bag was up around row 10 and i was sitting in row 30.
I am all for low fare carriers and at the end of the day will do whatever i need to do to make it work but this was totally unacceptable.
I will be making a complaint to both Easyjet and Malaga Airport but thought i would say it here first to get the views of the forum.
Sorry for going on but i think people may be interested, also i wonder if anyone has had similar experience.

I forgot to say when the plane landed there was a delay as we had to wait for ambulance/paramedics to assist a passenger, i do not know if this had anything to do with what happened earlier. I have no problem with this as this delay as this necessary.

Many thanks..

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: easyjet

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 am

I am not a great fan of Easyjet though I have flown with them often. They tend not to use air bridges but park on remote stands so busses are inevitable. This nearly always messes up the boarding. They also do not have a policy on cabin baggage [unlike Ryanair] in that you are not guaranteed to get your hand baggage on board with you. It tends to be rather arbitrary. As for the bus problem at Malaga; that is unusual. I was bussed to a Norwegian Air flight last week out onto the new stands near the eastern runway and it went smoothly.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 pm

So is your problem with the queueing system or the fact that your bag was 20 rows away from you? Ryanair quite often use the steps and a walk to terminal to save on the air bridge costs. They pull up next to the air bridge at Birmingham and make you use the steps. They also do this for loading at Malaga but not always for disembarking.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 pm

The problem in my opinion was caused by the use of the bus for boarding as when it comes to boarding with the stairs people just filter out of the terminal building and for the most part form a reasonably line to the stairway.
The bus was about 20 paces from the stairway and there was a bit of panic as people were literally trapped on the bus for several minutes as they only allowed people out of the bus slowly and it was badly managed.
The luggage issue is more of an inconvenience than a problem, personally i think the cause of this was a knock-on effect to the local procedure.
I am both a fan of Easyjet and Ryanair and would not complain if there was not good reason.
Ii seems There is a trend to push people towards priority and i think this is a deliberate strategy to do this as it may encourage people to pay for priority.
I read an article a couple of weeks ago that Ryanair expect 110 of their passengers to be taking up priority.
The complaint i have is really about the suitability of the bus for loading, being trapped on bus i would say for 15 mins and then being herded off the bus by security men like sheep.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Ive never had a problem with easyjet but it dosen't mean that other people haven't. Being cooped up on a bus with little air is not pleasant but queuing inside an air bridge in the heat of the summer is unbearable and that is when i get frustrated with other passengers who are faffing about inside the plane instead of just getting seated as quickly as possible.
I guess priority boarding dosen't quite work when they use buses for boarding, i imagine it is better to be last on the bus and first off, perhaps that is the only way to guarantee your bag will go in the overhead locker above your seat..
I do like the fact that there is no weight limit for your carry on bag with easyjet...good news for hubby and his precious Spanish green tomatoes. :lol:

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Pamela1 wrote: other passengers who are faffing about inside the plane instead of just getting seated as quickly as possible.
:
Cabin crew should be issued with cattle prods!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Just to be clear it was not cabin crew who were managing people as we were being transferred from bus to Aeroplane.
My personal experience of cabin crew has always being good with all airlines has always being good.
They have a difficult job as some people are very inconsiderate.
I have already contacted Easyjet and will send a similar email to Aeropuerto de Malaga shortly.
There is clear arrangement between them with this practice which is why in asked here as i expected others would have experienced same.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm not sure how much control the airlines have over the buses at the airport. It sounds like it was the airport's transport system and their staff that was causing the problem. Although we've not always had a bridge from the aeroplane, we've been able to just walk to the plane from the departure area rather than be put on the bus which is always a pain and seems to be disorganised.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 pm

If you are visiting relatives, http://www.sendmybag.com works a treat!
Send you case 5 days ahead and it is waiting for you when you arrive. Book it to be picked up the day you leave and it comes 4/5 days later.
Travel with just a small handbag ( “ man bag”) and avoid the hassle. Hardly any difference in price

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 pm

checked the sendmybag site - return 20kg (standard Ryanair limit) works out at 93 Euros....as Ryanair only charged me 50 Euros return last month think I will pass on this opportunity....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm not sure how much control the airlines have over the buses at the airport
You suspect correctly - none. At best the buses are a handling agent function, but more usually the airport authority are the provider.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:32 pm

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Standard
3-4 working days
up to 20kg: 90,00 €
up to 30kg: 93,00 €

Just done this test.....even allowing for it being in Euros, a lot more than Ryanair!

And just a reminder that our last trip was €36 each, return.....Murcia to Leeds/Bradford, car park €32 for the week, 20 metres from the arrivals door.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:47 pm

:lolno:
Lyric wrote:
I'm not sure how much control the airlines have over the buses at the airport
You suspect correctly - none. At best the buses are a handling agent function, but more usually the airport authority are the provider.
I bought my flight from Easyjet so my contract is with them, if they outsource this the duty of care is with Easyjet...

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm

I won't argue that but they have no control as such. Their handling agent will advise that bus department when and where they want the bus, all transparent to Easy. The agent will also liaise with the Aircraft to advise passengers on their way.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Stevemul wrote:If you are visiting relatives, http://www.sendmybag.com works a treat!
Send you case 5 days ahead and it is waiting for you when you arrive. Book it to be picked up the day you leave and it comes 4/5 days later.
Travel with just a small handbag ( “ man bag”) and avoid the hassle. Hardly any difference in price
Excellent referral Steve, just booked an extra bag to go ahead of us on our next trip and saved a fortune.

Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Ok, slightly off subject but I have flown twice with Ryanair since new bag policy and both times we left on time. The new system is working as my last 50 flights have all left at least 20 minutes late.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:59 pm

northandsouth wrote:
Stevemul wrote:If you are visiting relatives, http://www.sendmybag.com works a treat!
Excellent referral Steve, just booked an extra bag to go ahead of us on our next trip and saved a fortune.

Thanks
Could you explain how you you managed to save a fortune? When I looked I was getting 93 euros, more than I currently pay.
The only way it might be useful in my situation is if I were to buy something quite heavy in the UK and wanted it shipped here.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:39 pm

"When I looked I was getting 93 euros, more than I currently pay."
Not just me then.....?

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Could be something to do with size/ weight ratio. If it is larger than standard for the same weight, it may cost more. I think they scan and weigh them and have been known to surcharge if they are different to that declared and paid for. Best to be fairly precise with size and weight.