Smarty DNS

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Smarty DNS

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:00 am

It's a real pity that Smarty keeps getting these problems with the BBC. I was going to cancel them because of it and go with Smart DNS but in my opinion their speeds are slower, which causes a poor picture when I watch Sky sports on the PS4. In the end, I have decided to stay with Smarty but use Smart DNS as a backup because there yearly subscription only cost me 15 pounds.

As far as Unblocks is concerned, I did use them the last time Smarty was down a couple of weeks ago on one of their trial offers and had no problems.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:49 am

It came back last night .... was able to watch some McMafia on catchup as Saturday night is so dire on the usual channels. I realise how much BBC I watch when I can't .... if you see what I mean.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:07 pm

I see that my Samsung TV has had an update and can now allow me to watch programmes from the start, a very useful feature.
I wonder if the problems stems from that and everytime there is an update, it affects Smarty’s DNS.
BTW,
McMafia can be watched on Amazon Prime as well as the IPlayer.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Smarty back but I am getting buffering on BBC Iplayer on NOWTV box.....But perfect ITV C4 ETC..Only iplayer....wierd...anyone else getting this?.....

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:13 pm

It stuttered a couple of times this evening on the NowTV box but nothing more that a couple of seconds. the last hour or so it has been completely stable.
Gerry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Yes, a few short buffering events but not too disruptive. That was on the live feed.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Just a bit ;-) - see my photos on the "Rain in Spain" thread !
Edit to say this is in reply to a post at the bottom of the previous page - I didn't spot the next page til I pressed submit !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 am

Some hiccups with Smarty here, too (having recently switched to them). Sorry, it's a bit 2nd hand because only my wife watches. The w/e of terrible weather caused problems that turned out to be the ISP. Wednesday was also poor, lots of turning circles and iplayer was by far the worst - unwatchable. However, I tethered the laptop (we don't use boxes) to my mobile's Simyo data provision and that sorted it. I can only speak for ourselves, but it does seem as though heavy wind/rain is affecting internet, rather than just Smarty. Fibre-types should have experienced no issues?

BBC makes the blocking effort that ITV and C4 don't - we used Buffered VPN (still have an account 'til April) and iplayer was always getting wise to it. Less so with Smarty DNS and their VPN seems no slower than DNS when watching. The only advantage Buffered has is the ability to make your 'location' almost anywhere in the world.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 am

markwilding wrote:I see that my Samsung TV has had an update and can now allow me to watch programmes from the start, a very useful feature.
BBC has always given me the option on live TV to watch from the start, but the other channel apps don't have the live option at all. Perhaps it depends on the make of the TV.

BBCiPlayer through my TV was still working last night but it did have some issues. Some pages didn't load and said there was a problem but then I tried again and it did work. Perhaps it was a problem with my ISP as it's wireless and the rain was awful at times, scrambling the Intelsat box as there was such thick cloud.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 pm

This function has not been available until last week on my Samsung Tv although on other gadgets,such as Fire Tv and Now Tv as well as the PC,phones and tablets, I’ve had it for some years.

Recently I’ve noticed that it’s possible to rewind live radio programmes on my PC so I’m hoping this will roll out on my phone and tablet sometime soon.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:52 pm

markwilding wrote:This function has not been available until last week on my Samsung Tv although on other gadgets,such as Fire Tv and Now Tv as well as the PC,phones and tablets, I’ve had it for some years.
I think we'd all be surprised and astounded if you hadn't :lol:
I So Bella tis you

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Yep I know what you mean Mark, I could always restart live BBC tv on iPlayer on the Amazon Fire TV box but not on the Samsung until the latest update.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Quick question...
Any one else having issues again with SMARTYDNS and Sky digiboxes / now TV roku box/ Sky Go android?

I know iPlayer is again having issues, but today my Sky devices have stopped working...using all three DNSs and many many reboots?

(Although I know you can now use Sky catch up and on demand in other EU countries for 37 days without use of a VPN / SMart DNS service...due to the new EU rules. However, as these rules are for temporary stays / holidaymakers etc, then after 37 days, the content will be blocked until it is reconnected from a UK ip address, when the next 37 days start...but then Brexit may / will end this for UK TV users)
Last edited by satandpcguy on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:40 pm

SkyGo working on the PS4 and Ipad. Sky sports fine on NOW TV on the IPhone using Smarty DNS

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi,
I'm looking at an issue with smartydns and iplayer today.......not currently working.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Catch up on the sky box returning the 403 forbidden error - ie geoblocked, with and without SMARTYDNS, with the details input into the sky box, or by using a smartydns prepped router.
Now TV with Smarty DNS not loading channels.
Now TV without SMARTYDNS is loading some channels (not all due to rights issues, but confirm this 37 day roaming for NOw TV).
Sky Go on Android with Smarty DNS not loading channels.
Sky Go on Android without SMARTYDNS is loading some channels (not all due to rights issues, again confirming this 37 day roaming for Sky Go).

I know the SMARTYDNS service is working, as the All4 and Demand5 apps on the smart tv are working...but then these do not go through any sky servers.

I only checked mine as had some emails from others who use SMARTYDNS on the same devices also having issues.
SMARTY unaware of issues with these devices, but want my Sky account details to check it...which i am kind of reluctant to give them...given the details available to them on the account.

I know iPlayer is not working (again), on SMarty, as per the message on the account dashboard...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 pm

I get BBC iPlayer vía my AppleTV but vía NowTV or the smart TV app I get a “it’s not working” message. It works OK on my iPad.

Usually if SmartyDNS is not working you get an out of UK message.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:18 am

I’ve been out tonight and the bar uses SmartyDNS for Sky sports on Now Tv box. It was on in the background all evening with no problem.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Seemsthere was an issue, as they have tweaked something, and all boxes and devices are back working and downloading again.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 pm

This latest hiccup seems to have been very much device-specific, as stated on Smarty's dashboard front page.
At 23:30 last night, no go on Fire, but ok on iPad.
Chris