Improving my Wifi.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Improving my Wifi.

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:18 am

I have a 6Mbps internet supply, pretty reliable and just tested @7.1 download. I am using a re-broadcast system for the tv, waiting to see if the oft-promised fibre will reach our road before investing in SmartDNS and Samsung smart tv. I just dug out a Philips home cinema system that worked well in Comares, which uses a wireless connection to the rear speakers, but have found that it really messes with my wifi. Previously the router was upstairs, away from the system and I had no problem, but the only place I can position the main Philips box is a metre away from the router. I have noticed that the supplied router is only 2.4Ghz, and read that a 5Ghz supply should solve the clash of signals? If I buy a dual band router, can I just plug this in to the supply from the Wimax dish, and use the passwords for the current router, or indeed different ones of my choice, or does it have to involve the ISP?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Flexo
Resident

Re: Improving my Wifi.

Postby Flexo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 am

You can get a gaming router, connect it to the modem and place the gaming router at a good location (not too close to the unit you want to have opitmal speed with).

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 am

Hi Peter
I’m not sure if you can use a new router directly. With my system it’s definately not possible.
What can be done though is connect the new router by ethernet and use that one as your router and you existing one would basically become a sort of modem.

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:59 am

Yes when we had wimax, the main wimax router that was connected to the antenna and p.o.e. adaptor had to stay in place, and as Mark says we connected a second router to it via an ethernet cable. I was able to switch the wifi off on the wimax router as well.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:09 am

Hi peteroldracer,
" but have found that it really messes with my wifi"...............in what way :?:
" and read that a 5Ghz supply should solve the clash of signals"........which of your equipment will run on this frequency ......... :?:

Can you currently Login to the Admin account on your ISP supplied router............. :?: as you will need the configuration info to put into a new Router.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 am

I will give that a try Enrique....connecting a new dualband router via ethernet cable should avoid the need to do this?
The clash seems to come because of the wireless transmitter on the dvd/home cine box, to a receiver at the other side of the room.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 pm

The entire thing is to understand what the combined router/ modem / gateway is. To use a Movistar router with another router you need to connect to the DHCP server in the other router, not the Movistar router. So the Movistar router will act only as a gateway, not as a DHCP-server like it normally do.