Connecting to Town Water

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Connecting to Town Water

Postby jaycecampo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:33 pm

We live in the campo and several of our neighbours would liked to received town water. Does the town hall pay for this are are we expected to pay for the infrastructure ourselves. Anyone been through this ? Many thanks.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Connecting to Town Water

Postby country boy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:11 pm

We had to form a neighbourhood scheme to connect to the town supply, (with some funding from an EU scheme) and do the work ourselves, ie we paid contractors. The scheme ran for a few years with a local commitee and overseen by engineers from the town and was then taken over by the town hall and incorporated into the town grid. It has been a lot more reliable since then :-) Ask about the Gibralmora scheme at the town hall.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Many years back at a previous home our hillside was in a scheme to obtain town water but it took years to organise. There were endless meetings and it was 4 years before the infrastructure was put in and meter cupboards built. There were a lot of neighbours in the scheme (probably at least 50) and our contribution was 1500 euros towards the total cost (but this was 2000-2004). The meter point for connection that we had been allocated was actually about 200m away so the cost of providing and digging the pipework into the track was down to us. Our house was at least 1.5 kms from the pueblo and the mains water supply so there was a lot of infrastructure involved digging up all the tracks all the way up from the pueblo and planning permission was also required apparently according to the neighbour who was in charge.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 pm

If you already have a decent agricultural supply I would stick with it. We have been using our agricultural supply for 15 years with no problems. If you want to purify it there are plenty of options which will cost a lot less than paying for the infrastructure to supply town water to your house and the town water will probably be much more expensive especially if you are using it for irrigation.

Sid

jaycecampo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jaycecampo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks everyone. you have more or less confirmed my thoughts on it. We do have agricultural water. Think we will continue as we are.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:39 am

If the plots are urbanizable I think the town is required to pay for it. However, as I have stated in other threads atmospheric water generators are quite cheap now, you can get one that produces several liters a day for less than 200 eur, it is going to be cheaper than a reverse osmosis unit regardless how you look at it.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Another part of the official EU rulings on provision of Mains - town - water is that there has to be provision for legal drainage also. What comes in, water, has to go out - grey water and sewage - and has to be seen to be legal. So if like most of us in the campo, you still have a pozo negro soakaway means of dealing with your sewage, you would also have the expense of putting in a proper septic tank, within reach of the disposal lorry if ever you should need to have it drained , etc etc. That cost is always up to the home owner, not the town hall or grants ...
If you are in an urbanisation which is accepted as being under the remit of the town hall, then they are supposedly duty bound to provide street lighting, decent roads, electricity, water supply (and even I believe childrens play areas !!!) but generally it seems that a lot of discussion goes on but everyone delays and delays taking decisions as the cost of it all is just to much to cope with !! Ours have been discussing water supply for about 7 years on an off, and nothing has happened yet, but the roads are looked after, in a fashion, to keep reasonable access - street lights?? dont hold your breath!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Flexo wrote:If the plots are urbanizable I think the town is required to pay for it. However, as I have stated in other threads atmospheric water generators are quite cheap now, you can get one that produces several liters a day for less than 200 eur, it is going to be cheaper than a reverse osmosis unit regardless how you look at it.
That doesn't sound very cheap ? How many would you need to produce say 500 litres a day? That would be around the normal average household usage.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi olive,

"How many would you need to produce say 500 litres a day? "...............you can't be serious...what are you doing drinking it :!: ............ :shock:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:47 pm

olive wrote:
That doesn't sound very cheap ? How many would you need to produce say 500 litres a day? That would be around the normal average household usage.
I think you are only meant to drink it - not to use it for normal household needs.

A quick calculation suggests that 500l a day could cost €11000 a year!

It might be cheaper to put a bucket under your Aircon waste outlet - the priciple is much the same.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Ok. In which case bottled water , in recyclable containers of course, would be just as effective.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:03 am

olive wrote: That doesn't sound very cheap ? How many would you need to produce say 500 litres a day? That would be around the normal average household usage.
There are big machines that the army uses (of course).

500L is a bit more than the average person drinks in a day, I think you should call the doctor.