Lost Car Keys -

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
john the baptist
Resident

Lost Car Keys -

Postby john the baptist » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 pm

I lost a set of our car keys the other day and was lucky i was with my wife at the time who had her set on her. Ive just come back from the key cutting franchise in Los barrios in La linea (its the one in all the carrefour buildings) .
the man said that unfortunately because my opel is over 16 years old now his machine could not recognize the immobilizer chip and as such he could not cut a new set.

Has anyone else ever had this issue, the many said I need to go to the Official Opel dealer (so its going to cost and arm and a keg) however can anyone recommend a solution or a company that could so it. can a multi brand dealership be able to do it?? th

Is this the sort of thing a back street car part place could deal with??? I went to Naurato for some advice and they said they dont cut keys.

cheers in advice for any advice!!!!!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Re: Lost Car Keys -

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 am

If the key is the transponder-coded type (the car recognises the key), then you'll have to go to a main dealer, armed with vehicle details (VIN number), and some proof of ownership (just in case they ask). Also take your spare key set.
Chris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am

Plenty of mobile key cutters in the UK that visit garages in the same position as you. Do you ever come back to the Uk? May be worth waiting to save a few quid.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am

I have probably proffered this advice before but with 16 year old car you will find an Internet car forum for your vehicle. Some are inordinately knowledgeable and helpful over aspects like keys, transponders, repairs to said items. If you cannot find one p.m. me the Opel vehicle type .

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

OR you could do a hands on hack.............. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRz2b1S2PGk

Don't try this at Home........... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:45 pm

ok thanks everyone for the info