Dogs and flying

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fearfulfred
Resident

Dogs and flying

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:54 pm

HI there
We are soon going to move out to Spain from Canada...our dog has necessary microchip and rabies blood tests etc...We are hoping to fly to the UK first to visit in laws and then go down to Spain . I am just wondering if any of the cheap flights from UK to Spain allow for dogs..he is 2 stone so too big for cabin...has anyone gone this route...? It would save a lot of time and effort as we plan on buying car in Spain .

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:11 pm

None of the cheap flights would let us take a cat even so I doubt it. His ticket was double ours. Probably cheaper (and better for the dog ), for you to send him direct from Canada to Spain and then get someone to pick him up at the airport and board him till you arrive. Saves a lot of hassle the other end with paperwork too.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:34 pm

Sorry i should have said that there are not any direct flights from Montreal to Spain...it either means a change of planes in Paris . We have relatives in Birmingham so thought we would either fly from there or drive down. As we are hoping to buy a car in Spain would prefer to fly from the UK if at all possible or if necessary fly to Spain pick up a car and drive back for the dog ( complicated no?) . Must stop and see my in laws though cannot miss the chance when they are getting close to their 90s....thanks for the input

Re: Dogs and flying

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:20 pm

fearfulfred wrote:HI there
We are soon going to move out to Spain from Canada...our dog has necessary microchip and rabies blood tests etc...We are hoping to fly to the UK first to visit in laws and then go down to Spain . I am just wondering if any of the cheap flights from UK to Spain allow for dogs..he is 2 stone so too big for cabin...has anyone gone this route...? It would save a lot of time and effort as we plan on buying car in Spain .
You can put you dog in the hold, give him a mild sedative, it's only 2½ hours, you dog will be fine!

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dogs & flying

Postby poppylou » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi fearfulfred

I think one of the problems that will limit your choice is that only certain airports are permitted to handle the carriage of pets. Probably best to have a look at Defra web site, and check the Pet Passport scheme info.

British Airways have said in the past that a dog could count towards your luggage allowance when flying to Spain (does not apply going back - vast costs seem to apply), which would reduce the cost somewhat, if you can manage with hand luggage! Maybe worth checking out.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:03 am

Doggies and Moggies fly animals all over the world and have a department that deals with this problem, they are based just outside Malaga and also board cats and dogs, give them a ring on 952 412 353.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks for the input to everyone...
Curatokid I have e-mailed the people at Doggies and Moggies with a query an am awaiting their reply. Poppylou was right the airport limitation for the UK forces us to land at Heathrow (something we are not looking forward to) but we are really hoping to be able to fly to Spain from Birmingham. It is so much simpler for us there. I do not like the idea of driving mainly because the dog is missing his back right leg and has a limited amount of positions for comfort in a car. Thanks again

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:58 pm

I have just come back from malaga to the UK on a 'monarch' flight yesterday and read in their inflight brochure that you can travel with your dog on the same flight (the dog goes in the hold of course) from any of their UK airports. I asked the stewardess if we could take our two doberman dogs out of Luton and she said that we could. I am looking further into this................hope this helps.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:29 pm

Thanks Jenny I will be looking into them then when we finally get to the UK. Things seem to keep getting put off..at the moment waiting for the officially defra approved gvt vet to let me know if i need to give him a booster shot for rabies as he had the test more than 16 ms ago. his vaccine was supposed to be good for 36 ms but i am not taking any chances!! Thanks again everyone who has replied..must get out of here before the snow starts to really fly :roll:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:26 pm

I saw this add in one of the free newspaper Monarch, Book your pet on the same flight - Pet Booking Hotline 654 168 366 that was within Spain - well it could be a central number - Haven't used it yet, when I sent mine to the UK he had to go via Frankfurt from Malaga, but that was five years ago now you can get direct flights to Heathrow and vice versa.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:30 pm

Thanxs Patricia , we will be checking it out...have cleared almost all the paperwork for the dog and am asking defra if it's possible to maybe get him a pet passport while in the UK.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:54 pm

fearfulfred wrote:Thanxs Patricia , we will be checking it out...have cleared almost all the paperwork for the dog and am asking defra if it's possible to maybe get him a pet passport while in the UK.
I would be very specific when asking questions to all these people and ensure that they are aware you are in transit from outside the EU.

As far as I know there is a statutory 6 month waiting period during injections and observations in the UK when applying for the pets passport.

I have transported several species during my many moves to and from UK and Europe and once delayed many hundreds of people from disembarking on a ferry from Calais to Dover pre dog passport days.

A moron (sorry fellow passenger) had told a gullible captain that there was a RSPCA pet carrier in my car with the word dog on it.

When the boat docked, the ship was boarded by 20 policemen, animal inspector, customs et al and I was arrested.

Nobody was allowed to get off.

Nobody thought to open the box.

There was not a dog in the box.

True story, so trust nobody, call twice or more and speak to different people and avoid heartache.

Good luck

Mike

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:50 am

As far as I know there is a statutory 6 month waiting period during injections and observations in the UK when applying for the pets passport.
We have recently brought our dog from the UK. The 6 month requirement is only if you intend to return your animal to the UK. The pet passport can be obtained as soon as a positive blood test result has been obtained following the rabies vaccination and the blood test is normally taken 30 days after the vaccination. DEFRA would be the best people to advise if these rules are any different if the animal concerned has come in from Canada but as the anti-rabies laws are intended to prevent rabid animals coming into the UK I think it's unlikely the rules would be changed for taking an animal out.

The other thing the airlines will ask for is a 'fit to fly' certificate. This has to be done by a DEFRA approved vet 48 hours before flying and is recorded in the pet passport.

Cassandra

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:46 pm

Bongtrees
that sounds a terrible experience..."As far as I know there is a statutory 6 month waiting period during injections and observations in the UK when applying for the pets passport. "
Tinker has gotten through his 6 months quarantine period after the blood tests. Its done here after positive blood tests for antibodies and he will have a veterinary certificate to fly into the UK ..Defra have assured me it will work..he still has to have the last minute treatments for ticks and fleas etc but that can't be done until less than 48 hours before we fly. I have also got confirmation that once we are inthe UK with all his paperwork we will be able to go and get a passport "Yes, once in the UK you can obtain an EU Pet Passport for your dog. You will need to take your dog and all supporting documentation regarding the Pet Travel Scheme to a government-authorized vet in the UK known as a Local Veterinary Inspector (LVI). There is usually one LVI in most large Veterinary Practices. They have been kind and even sent the list of approved LVI..So all that remains is for us to get the move organized ( I want to bring some furniture with me) . I wan to go soon as they are calling for snow this pm & evening
Cassandra I will check out what it takes for a fit to fly but i imagine it is the same process of de-worming and tick and flea medication they have to go through here before flying...

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:14 pm

The fit to fly is just a quick health check done by the LVI at the practice so could be done at the same time as the ticks & flea treatment - though that wasn't needed for our dog, possibly another thing that is only on returning to the UK :? Once they have checked the animal they stamp & sign the appropriate page in the passport.

Cassandra

p.s. On the way out of the vets the receptionist is likely to fleece you for vast amounts of money :wink:

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:48 pm

Cassandra .. I don't think he will need the tick and flea treatment either in the UK as it will have just been done in Canada as requirement for entering the UK. I expect to have to pay at the LVI as they will be giving him his pet passport and that surely has a fee though the Defra people did not mention one. When I make the appointment with the LVI I will ask though to be sure to have a big enough bundle of notes with me...thanxs again : :

fearfulfred
Resident

finally doing it

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks to all who helped with info..finally getting it done. Flying today and going to Spain with stopover in Paris. need 4 hours at least to clear dog into EU. We will take him to the UK later in the spring b car. Got all the paperwork finalized as entering Europe he does not need tick and flea stuff will do that before going to UK
once again thanks for all the input from everyone

neilinalcaucin
Andalucia.com Amigo

flying dogs!!

Postby neilinalcaucin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:01 pm

My mum in law used EASYPET.CO.UK OR .COM for £500 they drive the dog over and drop off at your house, also they feed and walk the dog upto 3 times a day!!

bloody good value i say - they even pick them up from wherever you are in uk

regards
Neil

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Patricia

I've just been quoted £677 to ship a Wiemarana (medium size) from Manchester to Gibraltar by Monarch

BA - charge just excess baggage for a dog - If you travel light ....that's cheap !

We shipping out in October.

£1200 inclusive Transit hire via the tunnel.

Shippers want £1600 just for the household goods ......

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:09 pm

All this money to transport a 3 legged dog halfway round the world..... Would be tempted to leave it behind meself!