Driving England to Anderlucia

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Driving England to Anderlucia

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:28 pm

There are many cases of places being spelt differently.
I live in the Basque Country but I tend to say it in the Basque way ‘Euskadi’ even though I don’t speak Basque (Here I call it Euskera). Depending on who I’m talking to determines how I say it.
Bayonne in France is quite close and I’ve seen it spelt at least 4 different ways. In French and Spanish and various versions in Basque.

Wikipedia in English spells it Andalusia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusia

In the end it doesn’t matter how you spell it but it is being picky picking up someone who doesn’t live in Spain for not spelling it in the Spanish way.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:56 pm

But Anderlucia is definitely incorrect which is what POR was pointing out.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Your post confused me until I looked more closely at the way Andalucía was spelt by the OP. Agree, It is definitely not Anderlucia.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Ah, but you have to remember our American cousins !

anyroads

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Manchesteral

On the subject of spelling, what sort of word is 'extemporaire'? It isn't English, it doesn't appear to be French and it certainly isn't Spanish.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Can we get back on topic for the OP please.
They might find this thread interesting for a start ....
http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 40#p385828

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:Manchesteral

On the subject of spelling, what sort of word is 'extemporaire'? It isn't English, it doesn't appear to be French and it certainly isn't Spanish.
I believe it's Dutch or based on Dutch vocabulary, it's certainly not uncommon, it's sometimes spelt "extempore"

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Not surprised this guy hasn't been back :wink: :lol:

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Manchesteral.

I don't think it is Dutch, it is Latin. Ex tempore literally meaning 'out of time'. It is normally spelt 'extempore'.

Katy.

You are right, but it was hard not to miss Manchesteral's grandiose description of his voyage through Europe.

Back on track now.

Computeral,

I apologise for going off track. As most people have said on here, go for it and enjoy it all. Do ask more questions if you need to, because there really is a wealth of experience on this site. Like me, you will make the odd mistake or two, but so what.

Good luck and a Happy New Year to you all.

Regards

Barry

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Well said Barry, happy new year :wave:

Gardenofengland
Tourist

Postby Gardenofengland » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:41 am

costakid wrote:The easiest route on the body is the long 21 hour ferry. I have done all the routes over the years and the costs are all about the same taking into consideration tolls, fuel, food, hotel.
Plymouth Santander allows dogs on board. Some allow dogs in cabins.
I agree we have done the through France route several times but find the Portsmouth to Spain easier (we live in Folkestone and we sometimes stay a night near Portsmouth if we travel in a busier time with the M25 etc) and usually quicker and not much difference in costs. But travelling in winter the ferries can be delayed/cancelled and it can be a rough crossing. We prefer ferries that dock midday so we can have one overnight stop to the south east/west Madrid (Madrid ring road is a nightmare in the morning rush) but after that the roads are empty and toll free. Next busy place is Granada but never too much of a problem. Coming back to UK we sightsee maybe one or two nights before arriving in Santander or Bilbao. We are off again next week but 'just in case' queued for more than an hour in Canterbury to get our International Driving Licences as we will be driving back mid April post the B word!

Gardenofengland
Tourist

Postby Gardenofengland » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:53 am

Any suggestions where we can look for a cheap base to rent for a few months in Anderlucia - estate agents ?
Thanks, Alan

First time we wintered in Spain we booked 55 nights in an old town house via AirB. We lasted 15 days! and nearly went home. It was beautifully furnished etc but freezing when the sun was shining all day outside, and the steep stone stairs difficult to live in. We went round lots of agencies in Almunecar and finally found one who did long holiday lets. Have been renting the same place in Sept/Oct and then Jan/April ever since. Make sure the place you rent in winter gets sun during the day it makes a great difference!
Bridie

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Good advice Gardenofengland