New Indian Torre del Mar

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

New Indian Torre del Mar

Postby Evelyn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 pm

New Indian restaurant opened in December in Torre del Mar. Indialucia, is in Paseo Maritimo Levante 21. Really extensive Menu, delish food at reasonable prices. Well worth a visit. Lovely outside eating area for those summer months.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Indian Torre del Mar

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 am

No doubt Gerry H will give it a go and give his opinion. I await his review.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:37 pm

I will try it when I can find it. :thumbdown:
Just been to have a look and Paseo Maritimo Levante 21 looks like a private house to me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm

gerryh wrote:I will try it when I can find it. :thumbdown:
Just been to have a look and Paseo Maritimo Levante 21 looks like a private house to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... above-door

Stranger things have happened!

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm

gerryh wrote:I will try it when I can find it. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Its most definitely there and at the address the Poster supplied. :thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/indialuciat ... e_internal
I So Bella tis you

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Something defiantly odd here.
The no 21 I found was a private house as shown on a goggle maps search.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pas ... 6567?hl=en
Perhaps there is more than one no 21.
I will have a walk along the length of Paseo Maritimo Levante on Monday to see if I can find it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 pm

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

OK I can see where it is now.
Some distance from Google's alleged no 21. Perhaps they ran out of house numbers when Torre del Mar sea front was redeveloped many years ago.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:49 pm

That name rings a bell, after all it's unusual and catchy. Pretty sure it was mentioned in digame or Facebook, but it was I think out in the backend of Nerja near the flea market site. Maybe they've moved.

Gonna have to try it, sucker for new Indians.
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Quick Google found an indalucia in Nerja, now permanently closed. Hope that they have moved to torre as it had great reviews on TripAdvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... lucia.html

Gonna have to try it at the next opportunity, hopefully sometime next week.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Looking at their menu on FB, it just looks like another bog standard BIR with the same boring menu as the rest of them.

Why cannot any of these places attempt to produce proper Indian food? I have loads of authentic Indian cookbooks and almost none of the recipes in them ever appear on restaurant menus. If I want decent “Indian” food I cook it myself.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm

When we, I mean my wife cooks Indian each dish is made from a pile of ingredients. A lot of restaurants make a big bucket of curry sauce then throw some bits of meat in along with possibly a couple of extra spices and a handful of chilli's. Result most dishes are similar and almost impossible to distinguish a patia from a rogan josh.

Call me a cynic but I guess it's simpler and far cheaper. If your primary customer base is holidaymakers, of which there is a ready and constantly changing supply then then they don't need to build a loyal customer base of regulars by providing excellent food.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm

You’re dead right. When you look at the vast choice on the standard menus, there is no way you are going to get freshly prepared food in a short timeframe.

I have a small cookbook called something like “The secrets of British Indian Restaurant cooking”. It’s a real eye opener about how they manage to do it. You start with a standard curry sauce, mainly onions and tomato, into which you throw a few spices at the last minute. The meat is all precooked in a standard stock and sits in the fridge. When an order comes in, it’s just thrown together and warmed up, maybe with a few fresh herbs to finish it off.

Don’t get me wrong, I regularly eat this stuff and enjoy it, but why oh why can’t they produce something more interesting and authentic, even if it is all pre-prepped?

While I am having a whinge, why do they all serve such revolting Mango chutney? It just a gloopy orange mess.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:44 pm

I make my own mango chutney and always take a jar to the Indian with me cos I refuse to eat that orange sh**e liquid that they provide with poppadoms. Likewise the lime pickle is normally not good so a jar of that goes into the wife's handbag. Both are a breeze to make.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm

PM me your lime pickle recipe and I’ll send my Mango chutney recipe.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Sounds like a fair exchange. Have to be tomorrow as the recipe is on my Pc, which is a, upstairs in a cold bedroom and b, it's gone to sleep for the night.. :D
Regards

Bob

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 pm

El Cid wrote:Looking at their menu on FB, it just looks like another bog standard BIR with the same boring menu as the rest of them.

Why cannot any of these places attempt to produce proper Indian food? I have loads of authentic Indian cookbooks and almost none of the recipes in them ever appear on restaurant menus. If I want decent “Indian” food I cook it myself.

Sid
So it's round to your place then Sid :wave: I rarely cook Indian and it is a bit bland. I am off Indian having been to an "authentic" Indian breakfast...yuk. Don't try their scrambled eggs. Yoghurt was ok. :lolno:

Seems to be a lot of Indian eateries around that area going by the amount of posts on here. Perhaps it is because they can get a visa :think:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 am

It is very difficult to get a good Indian in Spain. I have found 2 in the past that were better than average but both east Marbella way. One in La Cala de Mijas village and one near Da Bruno at Cabopino. All others have been very ordinary. Would like to find one in Malaga city.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 am

The "all dishes taste the same" doesn't seem to apply to Taj Mahal Torre, or Taj Mahal Puente (Venta Baja), where brothers Rashid and Ali, respectively, seem to take a lot of care with their dishes. Both restaurants major on a large number of regular customers. Menus for these two are identical, but each has their own style.

Puente mango is an orangey puree; Torre is chunky fruit. Both have some very memorable lime pickle.
Chris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:38 am

Here we go again, this is the best Indian, no this is the best Indian, yada yada yada. Everybody to their own. Personally I thought Taj in Torre was really poor, bland, tasteless and I could barely tell dishes apart. My opinion and I don't have to justify it. On the other hand I think some of the dishes at Jaipur or Buddha are excellent, fresh and as good as you'll get anywhere, including India where we spent a couple of months, and believe me some of the Indian food there was pretty poor whilst others were spectacularly good and a lot was mediocre.

Let's not go round and round yet again and leave thia thread as it is, comments on a new restaurant.
Regards

Bob