Why Do People Pack Up and Leave Their Family To live In Spain ?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.

Would I do it Again? ( That is move to Spain )

Yes
77%
No
8%
Maybe
15%

Total votes: 39

rt21
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Why Do People Pack Up and Leave Their Family To live In Spain ?

Postby rt21 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Like costakid I don’t live full time in Spain either. When we bought our villa ten years ago it was the sun, scenery, Spanish culture and the short flight from the UK that attracted us. And we haven’t regretted it once even though the value of the property has fallen significantly.

I enjoy living in the UK and really look forward to our regular visits to Spain. In fact we get the best of both worlds and I wouldn’t wish to change this arrangement.

Richard

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 pm

I met wife in Spain while I was studying here but We felt then that there would be better opportunities in London so we decided to set up home there after getting married.

My wife used to love living in London but when we used to visit her family here in Spain, she used to get really upset when it was time to go back to London. We talked about it coming to live here over a number of years but when my son got to about nine years old, we felt it was now or never so as not to upset his schooling too much.

In the end the whole move went quite smoothly and I've never regretted it. London is well under 2 hours from here and we often go back, often for pleasure, sometimes for work. Since my mother died, it has also given us the opportunity to visit places in the UK i've never been to before.

My, son, who was 10 years old by the time we finally got here, could already speak Spanish but was really nervous and worried , which obviously affected us but I remember taking him to school on his first day and telling him he could come home for lunch but when I got there, he asked if he had to come home because he wanted to stay at school with his new mates.

baggies1968
Tourist

Postby baggies1968 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:06 pm

I am hoping to move to Spain this year. I have bad arthritis and have looked at arroyo de La meil as need b near healthcare & buses. Any info would be appreciated. Am a pensioner do u still get pension increases?
Thank you

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:00 pm

If hills are a problem for you, Arroyo is not great - apart from the one main street through town, it's up or down steep hills to get anywhere. I would suggest having a look at Fuengirola perhaps instead.
Currently UK pensioners get the annual increases in state pension if they live in an EEA country (which includes Spain). After March 29th, nobody knows. Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to say if there is a bilateral agreement already between Spain & UK that will still be valid if we are no longer part of the EEA after that date.
And whether or not you will be able to access Spanish state healthcare services or not is anybody's guess too. Personally, I wold wait a bit before making any big decisions.

Incidentally, the area around Torrevieja on the southern Costa Blanca is renowned to have particularly good air for arthritis. (I hope I'm allowed to say that, since it's not Andalucia!)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm

All I know is that it is bloomin' freezing in our house today. Even in the conservatory which has had a few moments of sun today, it is only 14 degrees. Be aware that in the winter the houses can be really cold as generally they are built without insulation, so when it's only 13 degrees outside as it is at the moment on the Costa del Sol, it can feel even colder indoors. I have had an electric heater on all day in one room to keep warm, so factor in heating bills for the winter and cooling for the summer (and we don't get the UK winter fuel allowance living here). It is a drier here if that causes joint problems, but not always warmer!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Miro wrote:I
Incidentally, the area around Torrevieja on the southern Costa Blanca is renowned to have particularly good air for arthritis. (I hope I'm allowed to say that, since it's not Andalucia!)
Also a massive crime problem.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 am

Also an absolute dump !

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:48 am

It's interesting to note the revival of this thread and since I first wrote it there would appear to be more and more new arrivals, not just to Andalucia, but Spain in general.
I do keep in touch with several expat forums and the 'where is the best place to move to' and many other requests for information seem to be similar on each forum, and the 'best' answers are of course here. :thumbup:

Cost of housing does seem to be one of the most important requirements and it seems that as many people want to live in a British community as those who want to be more involved with a Spanish community.
I'm always happy to give advice about places that I have experience with and I have noted that many offer the advice that where they live is wonderful and perfect, and it probably is....for them, however it has to be down to requirements of the individuals and I would suggest that newcomers listen to everyone then decide what would be the best for them.
As for the Costa Blanca, a place that I know well, there are the same good and bad points as there is here in Andalucia and as for the reference to Torrevieja, a place I've never lived in but because of business I know well, it has changed from my first visit many years ago when it was a small sleepy fishing village to a crime area and now seems to have settled down, so places do change.

The one main point, is that in my opinion it is most important to find a home in a well connected area and avoid living in an isolated location.

Good Luck to all of the newcomers and anyone contemplating moving to Spain, it can provide a very good life if enough research and homework is carried out with regard to finding the correct location to fulfill indvidual needs..
Regards,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 pm

I have never seriously considered living permanently abroad though I have spent probably one quarter of the last 20 years (in total) on Spanish or Canarian soil. I've always been wary of taking residencia and living permanently in Spain/Canaria because of my tax status.

I used to spend a lot of time on the Spanish mainland but for the last three years I've spent 5/6 months per year in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria which suits me very well. The sun is almost guaranteed every day apart the odd short periods in Jan/Feb when we can get some stormy and *beep* weather. Everything I spend my money on is cheap, My life is generally very relaxed and I can be home in Cheshire in 8 hours (door to door).

Another huge bonus is that there is little crime here, teenagers don't stab each other in the street or aspire to a criminal life. There are drugs of course as every where but the sale and use of them seems to be restricted to the port area, everyone knows this and gives the area a wide berth and in General you can walk around here late at night without fear of molestation.

As the saying goes, one mans meat is another mans poison but for myself having spent time on the Mainland and Gran Canaria i much prefer the latter !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm

I also like the Canaries a lot, going there a couple of times a year. I can see us spending more time there in the future perhaps, particularly as the climate is less extreme than here. However, I find where I live now feels safe, and out of the main holiday seasons it is quiet and the motorways generally fairly empty. We couldn't afford to spend half the year in the UK even if we wanted to, and a couple of short visits for a few days a year is enough. We have been out of the UK for almost half our adult lives and feel settled here.

The fact that we are tax resident here doesn't really affect us at the moment as we don't earn enough to pay any, and we have no-one to leave our assets to so it's not a problem. I know of a number of people who have sold up and moved back to the UK or now spend more than half the year there, and one of the main reasons seems to be to avoid the Spanish tax system.

Gardenofengland
Tourist

Postby Gardenofengland » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:05 am

rt21 wrote:Like costakid I don’t live full time in Spain either. When we bought our villa ten years ago it was the sun, scenery, Spanish culture and the short flight from the UK that attracted us. And we haven’t regretted it once even though the value of the property has fallen significantly.

I enjoy living in the UK and really look forward to our regular visits to Spain. In fact we get the best of both worlds and I wouldn’t wish to change this arrangement.

Richard
We are the same 3 months in Almunecar from Jan to April (escape the miserable UK winter weather, always some sun at sometime during the day) and 2 months Sept to Oct.(in my opinion the best time for weather in Spain). But back in sunny Folkestone for Easter and the summer with the odd short trip to other European countries. For us it works and rentals are fairly easy and reasonable rents to find outside of the Spanish holiday season.
Bridie

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:09 pm

firsttango wrote:Recently was dragged screaming and kicking back to Bristol to pop my signature etc on completion of Apt purchase that OH deemed a necessity as grand children have started arriving and wanted a home from home in U.K. I must admit it was a huge shock as have only been back myself twice in 14 yrs. Whilst waiting for OH who had gone sofa shopping with daughter I settled into a coffee shop.....what a flipping palaver getting a straight forward "cafe con leche".....(no I didn't want it made with Himalay Alpaca milk or accompanied by a quinoa biscuit) then they actually robbed me ...£3.95!! I very quickly gave up smoking £10 a pack will do that to all but the most dedicated smoker. When I went in to the cafe it was patchy cloud and sun, when I left it was like a monsoon. We plan to go back as and when but unlike the OH who has been going back regularly to visit family I think it will take some serious getting used to for me as Wicksey said and i agree it all seemed a bit "Foreign". However on the plus side for me the Apt block in the Docks area has been wired for seriously fast internet 1GB Download and upload (approx 1000Mbps) for only £48 per month Happy days.
I know exactly what you mean, when I'm in U K my out of pocket expenses are approximately three time what they are in Las Palmas :-)