Official documentation of reaching pension age

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Official documentation of reaching pension age

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:39 pm

I have been saving in a Pension Plan through the Banco Santander since I got to Spain. The plan was due to come out once I had reached 65 — the official pension age for a person of my age and birth date. It's now four months later and the bank want an official statement from England to declare that I am an official pensioner. I have various letters from England but I do not have whatever document it is that they want. Anyone any ideas?

gerrynag
Resident

Re: Official documentation of reaching pension age

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Best thing is to contact the DWP, they will send you the required documentation.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks. I have thought of that but they have sent me all the stuff about claiming my pension, etc, etc, etc, but the bank is after something else. I will write, though.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Have you actually claimed your UK pension yet, if so, are they paying it ?
What exactly have the bank asked for ?
I would ring the DWP rather than write. At least you could explain the situation in more detail and hopefully get instant feedback.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 pm

Yes. I claimed my pension in September and they are paying it — into the bank that wants proof I am a pensioner. I will ring them now. Good idea. Thanks.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 am

I did ring the pension department in the UK. They had no idea what I wanted and, really, nor did I. There's no official "You are now a retired person with a state pension" certificate. I'm not sure what happens now but maybe it's best to remember that Spain is not the UK and their paperwork minefield is extensive and invasive BEFORE we sign up to pensions and savings here.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 am

Surely the bank should be able to tell you exactly what they want. Maybe you need to talk to someone more senior in the bank. Explain the situation and show them the actual documentation you have got and the fact that you have your UK state pension paid into the bank.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Lavanda - do you have your S1 from the UK - perhaps you are claiming from the spanish side too so you may not have it ... The S1 allows you to claim health cover in spain as a resident there, but under the UK's pension scheme so that essentially the UK pays for your health care. This is the best indicator of your status as UK pensioner. If you have health care in spain as a result of your S1, you may also have a Certificate of Entitlement from the INSS/Centro Salud that you are entitled to health care in Spain as a Pensioner.
If you claim health care via your employment or whatever direct in spain then you would not have the need of an S1 from the UK but you would have an official document from Spain to indicate their approval for paying you a spanish pension.
Your initial letter from DWP which says that you are now of the correct age etc and have sufficient input to the system, to be able to receive your pension, should be sufficient - that will have the date from which you would receive the UK pension.
Anyway, it seems to me that the pension plan you took out through the bank was not linked to your receiving a pension from the UK, but rather through your age at 65 - spanish retirement age?, not UK pension age?, but check the wording on the Pension Plan forms and clarify that. You do need to go and discuss with the bank as to exactly what they want ... Our experience with Santander some years ago does not give me great confidence that you will be met with efficiency and assistance, but you need to tackle them as to what you are expected to provide!
Good luck and keep up the fight !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks, Gasman. I do have an S1 sent from the pension people at the same time they said I could have my pension. However, I've had an S1 for the last nine years when my husband retired and received his S1. It's a good idea, though and does indicate my pension status.

The pension plan I took out with Santander was, in effect a simple savings plan with the capital paid in, plus bonus, to come out when I got to be 65. My UK pension started when i was 64 years and 6 months as I am one of the women who had their pension age moved when women retired at 65, same as men. I think it's now moved for everyone again up to 67 years. I did wait until I was 65 before approaching the bank.

I will go tomorrow, armed with my S1, birth certificate, monthly pension amounts going into my account, etc. I will ask for someone senior to talk with but, to be honest, the trouble with living miles from anywhere and west of Asia is that they don't actually know much about much. For example, the manager didn't know that the Banco Santander is exposed to the Italian economic meltdown to the tune of €8.8 billion — which is why I moved money out from the bank a few days ago!

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:12 pm

U should be dealing with INSS, not DWP. You're resident in Spain and presumeably if you followed correct procedure u claimed your UK pension via INSS.

They should be able to produce a certificate of jubilacion.

Your bank plan refers to Seguridad Social in the small print!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Neither my wife nor myself involved INSS when we became eligible for our UK pensions.
DWP sent us letters saying that our pensions would be paid from such and such date and into what account do we want them paid.
This was about 10 years ago, perhaps the system has changed an INSS deals with UK pensions???
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm

It's the DWP International Pension Centre. What's the INSS???

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:06 pm

INSS – INSTITUTO NACIONAL DO SEGURO SOCIAL
Sorry about the capitals, pinched it off Google, too lazy to re type it.
It's the Spanish Social Security system. It's where you take your S1 to get registered into the Spanish health service amongst other things.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:11 pm

If this is of any use then here goes, If you live in a different European country than U K (if you're a U K citizen) then you will (must) claim your U K pension via the pension office of the country you reside in ! they then liaise with the U K pensions office and your official retirement pension is calculated accorded to the rules of the country that you currently live in, it's not straightforward and of course I'm referring only to state pensions !

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 pm

I believe that only applies if you are working in your EU country of residence. My husband certainly did not apply for his UK state pension via INSS when he reached UK retirement age at the end of 2014. He downloaded the form to claim his pension, submited it to the DWP and received a letter from them confirming that he had been "awarded" a pension and what amount he would receive.

According to the official UK Government website, that is still the procedure to follow.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad
Last edited by Free at Last on Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm

I have my UK pension. There is not a problem with my UK pension or my S1 and Healthcare cover in Spain. Everything is done, dusted and fine. All that is sorted out.

Nine years ago I started a Planes de Pensiones with the Banco Santander as a way of saving every month and getting the lump sum plus bonus (and it's a good bonus) on reaching retirement age. Having this 'product' also meant we did not pay bank charges and got free banking. The bank now want an official certificate from the UK pension department to show I am officially retired. It's this certificate that is the problem and not anything else.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Free at Last wrote:I believe that only applies if you are working in your EU country of residence. My husband certainly did not apply for his UK state pension via INSS when he reached UK retirement age at the end of 2014. He downloaded the form to claim his pension, submited it to the DWP and received a letter from them confirming that he had been "awarded" a pension and what amount he would receive.

According to the official UK Government website, that is still the procedure to follow.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad
That's correct, provided you have not worked in and or are claiming a Spanish pension !!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Correct. When the pension with the bank became 'due' they did ask me if I wanted the whole sum or a monthly 'pension'. Whether that would constitute claiming a Spanish pension, or not, I have no idea.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:47 am

Manchesteral wrote:That's correct, provided you have not worked in and or are claiming a Spanish pension
Slight change on this.

Unlike a UK pension, you cannot apply for your Spanish pension before you reach pensionable age.

I applied for my UK pension 4 months before my birthday, which was duly awarded, and then on my birthday I applied at the local INSS for my Spanish pension. This took around 5 months to come through, but was backdated to my birthday.
Hardworking resident !!

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 am

Think a bit of a tangent here.
The op is only talking about the proof required for her bank to confirm she has got a UK pension.
Nothing whatever to do with Spanish pension.
She has got her UK pension, the bank does not trust (understand) the paperwork she has got showing this.
S1 is not proof you have a UK pension, just that you are entitled to healthcare, (if your spouse is over 65, you will get one).
Btw, you claim your S1 through the DWP, not the INSS. You present the S1 when applying for Spanish health care at the INSS.
I did this last year when I was 65.