Moving to Velez Malaga

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
RaybertK
Tourist

Moving to Velez Malaga

Postby RaybertK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum, but have gained a lot of information and advice in reading the various boards on the forum.
I am looking to buy a property in Velez Malaga and will be coming over in the next few weeks to visit the city before I make a purchase.
I would welcome any local knowledge about any areas /neighbourhoods to avoid for before I buy.
I don't drive but walking around the city ( even the hilly) bits does not bother me.
Any advice would be welcome.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Velez Malaga

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Welcome, parts of Velez are really nice, there is also the industrial area and apparently there are a few dodgy area. I am sure someone on here will be able to name the bad bit.
Have you been to Velez before or have you found it online and fancy it?

RaybertK
Tourist

Postby RaybertK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi costakid
Thanks for your reply.
No I have not been to Velez Malaga before.
Relatives have a property near costa tropical and have visited Velez malaga frequently
and have said positive things about the city.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:02 am

Hello + welcome. I held off, figuring Costakid and others would be more familiar, but I've been to, through and past on a few occasions. The old quarter of Velez is made up of tightly packed streets which can be daunting in terms of driving around and parking for first-timers. A real pleasure to walk around though. The south side is where the newer urbanisations are - easier to drive and park but a lot less picturesque. The advantage of a car (if the following is your thing) is that Torre del Mar to the south has a long and deep sandy beach where finding your 'spot' wouldn't be too difficult and Lago de Vinuela to the north is a lovely artificial reservoir that I've found pleasantly relaxing and underutilised (despite plenty of picnic tables and barbecues ready for your charcoal and chorizo sausages) but both are quite a yomp on foot. However (not that I've used them) the bus services are plentiful.

You might find this thread useful:
viewtopic.php?t=35884

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:46 am

There's a very good website set up by a British couple who made their home in the old town of Vélez-Málaga a few years ago.

https://mivelezmalaga.com/

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:50 am

They seem to have spent alot of money in the centre recently. We hadnt visited the old part for a few years until recently and the area around the san fernando new food market is really nice. I would certainly look there. They have also cleaned up around the old walls and totally renovated the building infront (at the sode of the church)which was totally rundown and empty when we used to come on hols.. there are also plans to close off the road where the townhall is to traffic.when that will happen is another issue

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:15 am

Where is the San Fernando new food market? Do you mean the Mercado De San Francisco?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Sorry i should have said san francisco. Still got carmona on my mind. its a foodie restaurant type market not one where you buy.its up Calle luis de rute.if you are looking at the townhall its the street to the right. I think where sabadell is. Walk straight up there..
Last edited by elusive on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 pm

I know,I live in Velez!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:53 pm

Well Quebin perhaps you can help out the OP if you know the place so well. Elusive is also giving useful information to the OP as to how he can find said market, not just talking to you ...
Sorry, personally never been but interested to see that some old parts of town are getting revival attention - on the whole most of Andalucia's old bits seem to be brightening up a bit. Nice !

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Elusive. Thanks for directions and info as going to have a trip there next week as have heard good things about the new bars and cafes there.
I So Bella tis you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm

quebin wrote:I know,I live in Velez!
Perhaps you can give the OP some useful info then.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:24 am

I know people who live in many areas of Velez Malaga including what some people term "no go areas" & they enjoy living here.
We all live different lifestyles sothe only way to decide is to visit & make your own decisions.
The only advice I will give is don't visit the Mecardo de San Francisco on a Monday as it shut.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:32 pm

I have pm'd you with some info.

RaybertK
Tourist

Postby RaybertK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi Everyone,
After after much consideration I am thinking of buying a townhouse in either Torrox pueblo or Salobrena.
I know both towns are a bit steep around their respective neighbourhoods but I don't mind the walking.
Would anyone who lives in either place or if you have some local knowledge of both places help me with some questions I need answering.
What is it like off season in either towns ( Sept -March)?Are many of the restaurants, cafes, bars etc are open during those times?
Any markets in Torrox pueblo or Salobrena?
What are the public transport links like in either place ( since I don't drive)?
Are there walking routes around either the towns that I could try.
Walking to the beach, which one is the closest from the centre of town?
Are the internet services ( so I can get uk tv) good in either town?
Hope you guys can help.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Torrox Pueblo is not walking distance to the beach. Salobrena is but its always quiet in the winter along the sea front. Its a bit of a ghost town out of season along the front. Torrox Pueblo is busy all year. Both have bus links. Good walking routes around Torrox P.

RaybertK
Tourist

Postby RaybertK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks costakid for your information.
Would you know if there are any markets in toprrox P?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 am

Torrox costa has a big market on a monday and theres supposed to be a smaller one in the pueblo on the same day

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 am

Correct, on top of the car park.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

yes, a little market in Pueblo, big market on the costa. Also Caleta de Velez have a huge market also.